• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is a "purge" payment ordered by a judge at a contempt hearing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JOESGIRL

What is the name of your state? PA
I have been reading about different enforcment actions taken against a non-custodial parent who is not paying child support. I read something about a judge can order a "purge" payment that must be paid by the defendant. If it's paid he can be released from jail if he is order to jail. I wanted to know does that mean that's the only payment he will have to pay or will he still be required to pay the rest of the arrears? He is in arrears of over $10K. Is this something that I can recommend to the judge to order at the contempt hearing? Any advice is appreciated. This whole process is extremely frustrating!
Also, he currently on intermediate punishment plan that is an alternative to prison due to another criminal case, so I wanted to know can a judge still order him to jail even though he currently "serving" another sentence for unrelated charge? :confused:

TinkerBelleLuvr

It's generally a percentage of the total arrears that is required to be paid at the time of the hearing to avoid going to jail. And yes, they can and will go to jail. Depending on the number of times they have been in jail will affect the amount of the 'purge'.

No, they are still required to pay towards their arrearage. FYI, it is considered a violation of parole to NOT pay your arrearage.

youareahag

joesgirl

the father has been trying to contact you for 4 yrs and you are ignoring this. in addition, you are in his state stalking him. i recommend you "break bread" with the father or you will be arrested for stalking.

Just Blue

joesgirl

the father has been trying to contact you for 4 yrs and you are ignoring this. in addition, you are in his state stalking him. i recommend you "break bread" with the father or you will be arrested for stalking.
Is she ignoring him or stalking?? Can't be doing both. I recommend you not threaten members of this forum.

youareahag

The father is communicating with her and her family, however, they are not responding. They have chosen instead, to drive around his town and the area in which he lives showing up at places he frequents including restaraunts, stores, etc. However, they never say anything. This is unstable behavior and provide and continues to provide excellent evidence of stalking on the mother's part.

Just Blue

The father is communicating with her and her family, however, they are not responding. They have chosen instead, to drive around his town and the area in which he lives showing up at places he frequents including restaraunts, stores, etc. However, they never say anything. This is unstable behavior and provide and continues to provide excellent evidence of stalking on the mother's part.
What the heck does that have to do with Joesgirl?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">