• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

whats the law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

treahb

What is the name of your state? texas
I have 3 kids from 1st marriage. I paid child support for all 3. My oldest moved in with me in 7th grade. I never went back and had the papers amended. Now he is a Junior in high school. I was told by a coach that i need to have legal papers having him live with me or he could be declared inelegable for sports. How does child support work with 2 kids at one parent and one at the other?

Just Call

Why don't you just pick up the phone and call the CSEA handling the case? The coach IS right -- your child does need to have established residency in the district. Plus, the district itself could consider your child a non-resident of the school district and come back to sock you with a bill for educating your child.

You need to make some phone calls and get this straighten out ASAP.

treahb

I dont think that would work yet. Due to the fact that I have never had the divorce decree amended to where he lives with me even though he has for 5 years.

huh?

You don't think it would work yet?

You NEED to have the papers amended. Period!

If you don't, I've already told you what the district could do. Plus, I don't know what the legal ramifications would be when you didn't note this change years ago.

IN regards to the child living with you, do you really want him to miss out on playing sports because of something YOU didn't do!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Until you change the orders, Mom still has custody. And you still owe her support. How much longer are you going to sit around waiting 'til you file for a modification?

treahb

Just spoke to an attorney. The district cannot do those things. The only reason I need to have the papers amened are due to child support.

treahb

I haven't filed for the papers to be amended because it will cost me 2,000.00 and I don't want to hurt my little girls by their mother not getting as much in child support.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
But what they CAN do is declare your son an "out of district student" and charge you tuition, I bet.

treahb

Just spoke with the super from both districts. They go off of where the child actually, physically resides. Not who has custody.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">