• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When can we stop paying Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BelizeBreeze

Missouri is the state that issued the order, and we don't know because he does not have his divorce papers, we had to send for them at the circuit court, and HE (the non-custodial father who pays support) has lived in TN for over ten years.
The first problem is that you seem to thing you'll find the answer in the divorce papers. UNTRUE. In missouri, child support is handled by a form 14 filing (formally called a family action filing). So tell hubby to get off his fat ass and contact the county district court where the divorce was filed and ask for a copy of the file.

Then tell him to read it. In Missouri, there are provisions in law that allow support to continue until age 21 or graduation from college but they must be specifically spelled out in the order. Otherwise, support ends at 18.

And another question. How did he "just find out?" There is much more to this story.

pbaker170

The first problem is that you seem to thing you'll find the answer in the divorce papers. UNTRUE. In missouri, child support is handled by a form 14 filing (formally called a family action filing). So tell hubby to get off his fat ass and contact the county district court where the divorce was filed and ask for a copy of the file.

Then tell him to read it. In Missouri, there are provisions in law that allow support to continue until age 21 or graduation from college but they must be specifically spelled out in the order. Otherwise, support ends at 18.

And another question. How did he "just find out?" There is much more to this story.
There is really nothing more to the story. When his daughter graduated in May that is when he sent the last payment because he and I both thought at 18 it ended and graduating high school.

The mother just sent us this week certified mail a copy of his daughters college schedule, that is when he decided to get online and see what was going on. He never gets on the computer so I was shocked to see him sitting there and he said he was going to try to find out something about why she was sending him these papers, she never sent letters with them or anything. She just wrote on each copy here's her fall semester, here is her spring that she has signed up for, thanks. He and I neither one knew what was going on until he got on the internet to see. I have been researching also and it seems to state that he has to pay while she is in college or until age 22 if she is in college. Every website I have been to says that. When he called Family Services they told him that was right and if his papers state to age 18, they need to have a copy of them, so he sent to the circuit court. He had to send $2.50 and a self addressed stamped envelope to the circuit court. I can promise to you that this is what happened. His daughter even stated to us this summer when she was here staying with us that her mom knew it was about to come to an end. Someone must have told her that she was entitled through college, we just don't know because she did not bother to send anything but the schedules with the little note that I wrote about. Thank you for your help so far. We have no idea what to do except that we did send for his papers because that is what family services said. It is hard when you live in one state and they are in another to find out what you need to do so I really appreciate the help that you and anyone else is giving to me. I have lived in TN all my live and we know what TN law is but have no idea about laws in MO. Thank you so much.

CJane

I'm still trying to figure out how it's possible that he doesn't know what year he got divorced. I think, for the rest of my life, I'll celebrate January 26, 2004 - I could probably remember what time the judge declared me divorced, if I gave it a little thought. And he can't remember the YEAR?

Has dad contacted CSE to find out if they're showing arrearages? Because all you're saying is that mom sent you the kid's class schedule, with no note or anything... has she mentioned child support at all?

pbaker170

I'm still trying to figure out how it's possible that he doesn't know what year he got divorced. I think, for the rest of my life, I'll celebrate January 26, 2004 - I could probably remember what time the judge declared me divorced, if I gave it a little thought. And he can't remember the YEAR?

Has dad contacted CSE to find out if they're showing arrearages? Because all you're saying is that mom sent you the kid's class schedule, with no note or anything... has she mentioned child support at all?
No she never mentioned child support, but, I know that is what it's about, we just received in our mail late yesterday afternoon a letter from Missouri Dept of Social Services Family Support Division stating that it has received a request to provide child support enforcement services. It states it is responsible for establishing & enforcing child support orders. You would think we would have received something from them first. The schedule the mother sent just has the notes on them that said fall schedule 12.0 credit hours and the spring one said 14.0 credit hours. I am wondering she doesn't actually have these credit hours until she completes the semester. Are we obligated if she does not attend or receive her credit hours, from what his daughter tells us, she misses alot. Also his daughter does work too.

Last edited:

fairisfair

oh, come on, in case you haven't been to college in a while, attendance is generally not taken. Just because the girl misses a few classes does not necessarily mean that she will not meet the criteria laid out by the instructor in order to receive credit.

Get the copy of the file and work from there, until then your questions are unanswerable and irrelevant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">