• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When can we stop paying Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pbaker170

What is the name of your state? Missouri
:eek: We just found out that we have to continue child support payments in Missouri to my husband's daughter who just turned 18 in March. She graduated High School and is now attending college. We live in TN and have lived here for over 10 years. His divorce was final before 1992, just not sure which year. We thought the obligation ended at 18, but not so. My question is was there a law before 1992 that did not stipulate through college or age 22, whichever comes first and if his papers state age 18, does that mean his obligation ended at 18 and he does not have to pay now? She is registered for the 12 hours in the semester which is required, but she misses all the time, so if she does not go the required hours, will that also stop our obligation for that semester? Thank you

Silverplum

:eek: We just found out that we have to continue child support payments in Missouri to my husband's daughter who just turned 18 in March. She graduated High School and is now attending college. We live in TN and have lived here for over 10 years. His divorce was final before 1992, just not sure which year. We thought the obligation ended at 18, but not so. My question is was there a law before 1992 that did not stipulate through college or age 22, whichever comes first and if his papers state age 18, does that mean his obligation ended at 18 and he does not have to pay now? She is registered for the 12 hours in the semester which is required, but she misses all the time, so if she does not go the required hours, will that also stop our obligation for that semester? Thank you
What, EXACTLY, does his divorce paperwork state?? That's the big question -- without that exact info, no one can give you a valid answer.

CJane

You don't know when your spouse's divorce was final? Weird.

Generally, whatever the order states is what rules... does it say at 18, or does it say 'Until further order of this court'?

nextwife

What state issued the order, in addition, what exactly does it say about ending?

Where YOU live is irrelevant.

moburkes

I'm sure that you've realized by now pbaker, that YOU aren't paying the child support. The child's non custodial parent IS.

LdiJ

How did your husband just find out? Who or what was his source of information?

pbaker170

I'm sure that you've realized by now pbaker, that YOU aren't paying the child support. The child's non custodial parent IS.
Actually, I also work and have a joint account with my husband, so I guess that I do help him pay his support, we are a team and there is no you and I.

pbaker170

What state issued the order, in addition, what exactly does it say about ending?

Where YOU live is irrelevant.

Missouri is the state that issued the order, and we don't know because he does not have his divorce papers, we had to send for them at the circuit court, and HE (the non-custodial father who pays support) has lived in TN for over ten years.

Silverplum

Actually, I also work and have a joint account with my husband, so I guess that I do help him pay his support, we are a team and there is no you and I.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This is a LEGAL forum. And LEGALLY, there is no "WE." Don't get all snuffy about your marital joyfulness. Just answer the questions and move on.

Silverplum

Missouri is the state that issued the order, and we don't know because he does not have his divorce papers, we had to send for them at the circuit court, and HE (the non-custodial father who pays support) has lived in TN for over ten years.
Then you cannot get a valid answer at this time.

pbaker170

You don't know when your spouse's divorce was final? Weird.

Generally, whatever the order states is what rules... does it say at 18, or does it say 'Until further order of this court'?
No, I don't know when it was final he lived in Missouri and I lived in TN. I did not meet him until years after his divorce and he does not remember, he just sent for a copy of his papers to know what they say, he is almost 100% sure they said until 18.

pbaker170

What, EXACTLY, does his divorce paperwork state?? That's the big question -- without that exact info, no one can give you a valid answer.
He does not remember, he thinks that it stated until 18. He has sent to the circuit court for a copy of his decree.

pbaker170

How did your husband just find out? Who or what was his source of information?
His ex-wife sent copies of his daughters college schedule by certified mail. When we received those we got on the internet and the law in Missouri states if they are in college you pay through college or age 22 whichever comes first.

Silverplum

One. More. Time.

If you do not have his divorce paperwork that tells you ~and therefore us~ exactly, precisely, how his child support order is worded, then you can NOT get any valid advice at this time.

Come back when the CS order arrives.

pbaker170

One. More. Time.

If you do not have his divorce paperwork that tells you ~and therefore us~ exactly, precisely, how his child support order is worded, then you can NOT get any valid advice at this time.

Come back when the CS order arrives.
I am just answering the questions that others have asked me, I realize that we need the papers to know for sure what the papers order, but I do have a right to answer the questions that others have asked me? You are the not only one who asked me questions, I am just repyling to each one of them if that is alright. I just wanted to know if there were any laws in effect before 1992 that could help us be grandfathered in somehow before the law went into effect about college or the age of 22, whichever comes first. Thank you.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">