• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When do I stop paying child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wa_Dad_1966

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA State.

I am lucky to have a very good working relationship with my EX Wife. I pay her monthly support, on time, and full each month for our 3 kids.

Our oldest is 18+ and on schedule to graduate in June 2012 from high school. His grades are good and eligible for College. He has a part time job and earns enough that he has to file his own tax return. He has come up with his own idea of either working full time next year or going into ROTC. Both ideas are so he can get his own housing or can move away his sister that is cause him drama.

Both parents support him in being successful regardless of his choices. My question is, when do I stop paying child support for my oldest? Our current order of child support did not include post secondary support?

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA State.

I am lucky to have a very good working relationship with my EX Wife. I pay her monthly support, on time, and full each month for our 3 kids.

Our oldest is 18+ and on schedule to graduate in June 2012 from high school. His grades are good and eligible for College. He has a part time job and earns enough that he has to file his own tax return. He has come up with his own idea of either working full time next year or going into ROTC. Both ideas are so he can get his own housing or can move away his sister that is cause him drama.

Both parents support him in being successful regardless of his choices. My question is, when do I stop paying child support for my oldest? Our current order of child support did not include post secondary support?

Waht does your court order state?
Is the order per child?
Does it state that you are to "pay $XXX.xx until the children emancipate"?

Wa_Dad_1966

My Order of Support says until the child(ren) reach(es) the age of 18 or as long as the child(ren) remain(s) enrolled in high school.

No Post Secondary Support was ordered or asked for at the time filling.

I do pay $### per child per month.

Proserpina

My Order of Support says until the child(ren) reach(es) the age of 18 or as long as the child(ren) remain(s) enrolled in high school.

No Post Secondary Support was ordered or asked for at the time filling.

I do pay $### per child per month.

Seems fairly standard - you pay until kiddo graduates high school.

:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">