• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When does it end?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rmoss

What is the name of your state?

I'm a Maryland resident. When My wife and I divorced, I was ordered by the court to pay child support for my youngest son who was still enrolled in high school until he turned 19 years of age; his 19th birthday is in September. I was told today that he has dropped out of school. He plans to take the GED examination in the near future. If he has dropped out of school, am I not longer required to continue his support?

Raleigh

Gracie3787

Rmoss said:

I'm a Maryland resident. When My wife and I divorced, I was ordered by the court to pay child support for my youngest son who was still enrolled in high school until he turned 19 years of age; his 19th birthday is in September. I was told today that he has dropped out of school. He plans to take the GED examination in the near future. If he has dropped out of school, am I not longer required to continue his support?

Raleigh
If the court order states age 19, then you have to pay until his birthday. That's only 6 more months.

N

nicetryadmin

Rmoss said:

Raleigh
Does you order state that he must be in high school?

Rmoss

Child Support

I understand Maryland law as follows:

A person who has attained the age of 18 years and who is enrolled in secondary school has the right to receive support and maintenance until the first to occur of the following events:

1) The person dies
2) The person marries
3) The person is emancipated
4) The person graduates from or is no longer enrolled in secondary school
5) The person attains the age of 19 years

Our separation/divorce agreement said that support was to be paid in accordance with Maryland law. So if my son has dropped out of school, is child support still owed?

Raleigh

rmet4nzkx

If that is the case, you could petition the court to terminate child support, perhaps to be repaid for any child support paid after 18th birthdate when child was not enrolled in school and you not informed, but at worst it is only a few more months.

NotSoNew

even if you DO have to pay till 19, you should file now for it, in most states it does not automatically end and the process takes a few months.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">