• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When does my obligation end?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

biggdaddy55

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington
My daughter lived with me from the age of 7 until she was 15, at that time she decided to live with her mom. When she moved to her mom's, she started home schooling with her mom instead of going to school. I have recently found out that there was no home schooling going on and my daughter is way behind. She is now 17, and there is no way she will get a diploma anytime soon. If she decides to go back to regular school, could I be paying support until she does get her diploma, no matter how old she is?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington
My daughter lived with me from the age of 7 until she was 15, at that time she decided to live with her mom. When she moved to her mom's, she started home schooling with her mom instead of going to school. I have recently found out that there was no home schooling going on and my daughter is way behind. She is now 17, and there is no way she will get a diploma anytime soon. If she decides to go back to regular school, could I be paying support until she does get her diploma, no matter how old she is?
What does your court order require?

biggdaddy55

That's a good question. I will have to pull it out of the file tonight and read it. I'm not sure if it said high school or age of 18.
Thank you for your quick response.

Zigner

That's a good question. I will have to pull it out of the file tonight and read it. I'm not sure if it said high school or age of 18.
Thank you for your quick response.
The norm is for it to end at 18 or when the child graduates from HS or self-emancipates if over 18, but no later than 19.

Read your order.

nh_wayne

If you are paying through the state and having the money taken from your paycheck, just call the Division of Child Support. They will have all the answers you seek. 18 is usually the magic number no matter the circumstances. if you want it changed, it can only be done by a judge.

LdiJ

If you are paying through the state and having the money taken from your paycheck, just call the Division of Child Support. They will have all the answers you seek. 18 is usually the magic number no matter the circumstances. if you want it changed, it can only be done by a judge.
18 really is not the "magic number". Its graduation from high school (or age 19, in most states, age 20 in a couple) that is the magic number.

Zigner

18 really is not the "magic number". Its graduation from high school (or age 19, in most states, age 20 in a couple) that is the magic number.
However, the order may very well read differently ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">