• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When to emancipate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krisaks18

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
My daughter who will be 21 in January recently moved out of my house where I was supporting her. She moved in with her boyfriend and now has returned to her mothers home in Howell. The court has her as residing with me. She dropped out of college and hasn't worked for over six months. Now mom is going to petition the court for child support AGAIN! I need to have her emancipated. Where do I start???

BL

Are you saying Child support payments were terminated ?

Now Mom is going to re-petition ?

If so , I doubt it will fly .

Just challenge it .

# 1 ) Age of child

# 2 ) What you have said here .

tuffbrk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
My daughter who will be 21 in January recently moved out of my house where I was supporting her. She moved in with her boyfriend and now has returned to her mothers home in Howell. The court has her as residing with me. She dropped out of college and hasn't worked for over six months. Now mom is going to petition the court for child support AGAIN! I need to have her emancipated. Where do I start???
Dude - what do your current custody orders say? Who has residential custody - or was she already of age at time of divorce? Does your order specify timeframes related to no college/no job, etc? If you had a decent lawyer, it should. Was CS ever established/terminated? Is it accruing as an arrearage?

She dropped out of college presumably last semester? Is she back in college now? Is she attempting to obtain a job?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">