• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

when support stops

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

collegespprt

What is the name of your state? Indiana
My divorce papers state that I was to quit paying support when my child reached 18. However, she was still in High School and I think the State law says the a person is required to pay until they out of High School. So I have kept on paying it, because of that. But I don't know what our State law is for sure and I can't find anything on it anywhere. She is due to graduate next month....so do I need to take my custody papers back to the support office or do I need to hire an attorney to file something?? Thanks, Confused

seniorjudge

collegespprt said:
My divorce papers state that I was to quit paying support when my child reached 18. However, she was still in High School and I think the State law says the a person is required to pay until they out of High School. So I have kept on paying it, because of that. But I don't know what our State law is for sure and I can't find anything on it anywhere. She is due to graduate next month....so do I need to take my custody papers back to the support office or do I need to hire an attorney to file something?? Thanks, Confused
Why do you think you should do anything different than what the judgment in your lawsuit said to do?

collegespprt

they lie.....

:p because I have been so screwed by what papers say and what they "truely" mean...I just want to make sure that I'm right....before I do something wrong...does that make sense??

LdiJ

collegespprt said:
The current law in Indiana is age 21 or emancipation, whichever comes first. Going away to college does not count as emancipation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">