• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When will I get mine?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pumalady

What is the name of your state? California
Why is it so difficult for the DA's office to collect my child support? My case has been open since 1993/1994. My daughter's 'father' sells real estate, processes home loans, and makes approximately 80k a year. He owns property and has even started a family trust for the children. What about my daughter. What other steps can be taken to collect. He has lied and forged documents.

NotSoNew

what steps have they taken?

the DAs office is very busy and has more cases then they can handle. anything you can do to help them will speed up your case.

so you have never received any money? and you know where he works?

pumalady

No I have never received money, and my daughter and I were on welfare at one time. I didn't know where he was working, the DA's office told me. They even showed me his income statements, but they say it is hard to collect from people who are self employed. Can I help them by doing a title search, run his social security what else can I do? They even took his licenses a couple of times. Other alternatives?

GrowUp!

pumalady said:
No I have never received money, and my daughter and I were on welfare at one time. I didn't know where he was working, the DA's office told me. They even showed me his income statements, but they say it is hard to collect from people who are self employed. Can I help them by doing a title search, run his social security what else can I do? They even took his licenses a couple of times. Other alternatives?
If he is self-employed, the options available to actually collect are very limited since there's no actual paycheck to garnish. They can put liens against homes, cars and back accounts. How come charges haven't been brought up against him? Have you actually filed a Motion to Show Cause for Contempt? If he's more than 5k in arrearage, it's considered a federal crime. Perhaps paying a bond to avoid jail might make him pay up.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">