• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who can claim on taxes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shr00m

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Me and my daughters mother were never married. We have join legal custody with her mother having physical custody(daughter lives with her a majority of the time). I have regular visitation every other weekend and wednsday nights along with 4 weeks of time I can schedule throughout the year. I pay child support regularly and am not behind.

Can I claim my daughter on my taxes for 2008 since her mom claimed her in 2007? I've already finished my taxes but am in the process of filing an amendment that claims my daughter.

(forgot to mention that her mother lives in Michigan)

Thanks
Jason

CJane

Me and my daughters mother were never married. We have join legal custody with her mother having physical custody(daughter lives with her a majority of the time). I have regular visitation every other weekend and wednsday nights along with 4 weeks of time I can schedule throughout the year. I pay child support regularly and am not behind.

Can I claim my daughter on my taxes for 2008 since her mom claimed her in 2007? I've already finished my taxes but am in the process of filing an amendment that claims my daughter.

Thanks
Jason
You can only claim the child as a dependent if the child lived with you more than 50% of the time AND receives more than 50% of her support from you.

OR

You have a court order stating you can claim the child on X years AND Mom has signed a form 8332 giving you the right to claim the child.

If neither of those things are true, you cannot claim the child.

xarmywife2009

I prepare taxes and this is the area that confuses people the most. There are two different ways to claim a child. 1 as a duduction 2. Earned Income Credit. The deduction can either be told my the court how to claim or if not the parents can make an agreement, or even the worste one "whoever files first". The second is more difficult because when you file EIC the main question is "how long did this child reside with you?" You can only claim the EIC if the child was with you 6 months and 1 day. A lot of people even with court orders will claim the child as a decduction but can't for the EIC. I hope this helps

LdiJ

Thanks
Jason
You better forget about that amendment, because you cannot claim the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">