• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who has jurisdiction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KellyS.

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

In Nov 2004, my ex filed in Orange County for change in custody to 50/50 although he hardly excercise his current visitation (I believe to force a settlement), downward modification of support (claims he can't find a job in 3 years), and determination of arrearage (if any). My ex owes me over $54K in child support and over $28K in divorce settlement. The judgement was entered in Orange County in 2001, but both of us have moved. I live in San Bernardino County and he lives in Riverside County. I hired an attorney who has filed for a change of venue, but my ex requested settlement. I agreed. Since then, my attorney has basically took my money and ran (won't return phone calls, can't schedule appt etc). There has been a continuation to Mar 20, 2005 to give time for settlement. But in the interim, I went to the district attorney (child support services in San Bernardino) for enforcement and help. They have opened the case and is in the process of registering the order. Does my ex have any chance of proceeding in Orange County and forcing the issuing there or has jurisdication been automatically changed (for support issues anyway). And I need a GOOD lawyer. Any advice and/or referral to a competent attorney in the area would be greatly appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">