• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who pays for the insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shellyann

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I was wondering if anyone knew who is responsible for having medical/dental insurance on the child/ren after a divorce: is it the custodial parent, or the mother or father who is paying the child support to the cusodial parent. Whose responsible? What if the non-custodial parent does NOT pay support, then what? Please help!

Neal1421

shellyann said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I was wondering if anyone knew who is responsible for having medical/dental insurance on the child/ren after a divorce: is it the custodial parent, or the mother or father who is paying the child support to the cusodial parent. Whose responsible? What if the non-custodial parent does NOT pay support, then what? Please help!
It depends on the court order. What does it court order say?

Pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S.A. § 4326, the non-custodial parent bears the initial responsibility of providing health care coverage for the children if it is available at a reasonable cost on an employment-related or other group basis.

workinmom

In my case since I have great insurance and my ex has none, I have the kids on mine and he has to reimburse me for the insurance on top of monthly CS payments.

nextwife

SingleMom67 said:
Pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S.A. § 4326, the non-custodial parent bears the initial responsibility of providing health care coverage for the children if it is available at a reasonable cost on an employment-related or other group basis.
Is it available at a reasonable cost on an employment-related or other group basis?

shellyann

Neal1421 said:
It depends on the court order. What does it court order say?
There is no court order, because one doesn't pay support (personal reasons) and one is on SSI/Diability and my daughter isn't entitiled to any benefits through that or CS.

MrsK

shellyann said:
There is no court order, because one doesn't pay support (personal reasons) and one is on SSI/Diability and my daughter isn't entitiled to any benefits through that or CS.
If there is no order, then why do you think the NCP would carry insurance on the child, as he hasnt been ordered?

shellyann

MrsK said:
If there is no order, then why do you think the NCP would carry insurance on the child, as he hasnt been ordered?
I was told (by a "friend") that in the state of PA the NCP MUST carry insurance on the child/ren EVEN IF there isn't a court order. That's why I'm asking about this.

GrowUp!

shellyann said:
I was told (by a "friend") that in the state of PA the NCP MUST carry insurance on the child/ren EVEN IF there isn't a court order. That's why I'm asking about this.
Well your "friend" is wrong. You've already been quoted the state statute regarding this. Did you even read it? :rolleyes:

nextwife

Ohiogal said:
Why dont you have insurance on your daughter?
Uh, gee, what a concept. That's what I do - cover my kid through my employment. If he's on SSI, why would you think he'd carry the insurance?

shellyann

Ohiogal said:
Why dont you have insurance on your daughter?
I was working for the past 4 years at a job that did not have insurance for their employees, and then I quit in Sept. to go back to college full-time, so right now both my kids have the PA ACCESS cards until I get out of school next May and get a job with benefits. Instead of the state picking up the tab, I was told the father's are responsible before the state is.

shellyann

GrowUp! said:
Well your "friend" is wrong. You've already been quoted the state statute regarding this. Did you even read it? :rolleyes:
No I have not read the statute. When I "find" a copy of it I will, thank you for suggesting that. A couple people told me the statute to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">