• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is responsible??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nella

What is the name of your state? North Carolina..
I am divorced and do not have custody of my children ages 16 and 17 and i am paying child support .. One of my sons is about to become a father. The mother of that child will probably seek child support.. Who is responsible for paying the support?

ceara19

Nella said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina..
I am divorced and do not have custody of my children ages 16 and 17 and i am paying child support .. One of my sons is about to become a father. The mother of that child will probably seek child support.. Who is responsible for paying the support?
The biological father of the child is responsible for paying the child support. If it does turn out to be your grandchild, your son will be ordered to pay support only AFTER paternity has been established and the mother files for support (he needs to insist on a DNA test and not just agree that he's the father, it will cost somewhere between $150 - $600 but that's alot less then 18 years of child support for a child that's not his). It shouldn't be much considering he is only 16 or 17, but he will HAVE to pay it. If he can't your and/or his father are not OBLIGATED to pay it, but if it goes unpaid long enough, he can end up in jail.

Nella

Who is responsible

Thanks.... Shouldn't the mother of the child have to pay for the DNA test?

N

nicetryadmin

Nella said:
If she were to utilize the services of her local CSE agency, it shouldn't cost anything.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Nella said:
If the test turns out negative, she usually does (if there is a cost involved). If it's positive, your son would be responsible.

Not sure if NC is the same, but the test in SC was $90 through CSE & bio dad had 7 weeks to pay for the DNA test from the date we took it. Which turned out to be a little over 3 weeks after he received the results. I know the time frame may be different for you (it may be less) b/c they set our next court date out further b/c of the Christmas & New Year's holidays.

Also, rules vary in different states regarding the date that CS starts. Some go to birth of the child, some go only to the filing date, while some only start on the first day of court appearance. The 1st court date is the date that SC used in my case. I'm not sure which applies to NC.

ceara19

nicetryadmin said:
If she were to utilize the services of her local CSE agency, it shouldn't cost anything.
I've never heard of that before. Even when a person uses CSE, if the test comes back positive, dad is usually ordered to reimburse the state for the cost of the test. In a paternity case NOT involving CSE, if it's negative, mom pays. But if it's going through CSE, I'm not sure what happens since mom wouldn't be using CSE if she could afford to go to court on her own.

nextwife

But if Mom is going around naming people who are NOT the father, why should a guy who DIDN'T make the child end up stuck paying for a paternity test? It's not the guy's fault mom was having sex wirh multiple partners during the same fertility cycle. Heck, technically, she could name ANYONE, even if she never has sex with them, and they woul;d need to pay for a DNA test so as NOT to be named Dad by default! Who says a prospective Dad can afford to eat the cost anymore than she can? Maybe a guys actual kid will suffer because Dad had to pay for a DNA test for a kid NOT his?

Last edited:
CSE never mentioned that scenario to us. They just said that he would have to pay for the test since he was the one requesting it... even though I am the one that filed the papers through CSE. When we went to the conference, he told the caseworker that he had sent in papers to request that a paternity test be done (after he was given our conference date). Anyway, the caseworker started to ask questions & he said wait.... I requested a test & the caseworker asked him if he understood that he would have to pay for it. I don't remember her saying he would only have to pay if it turned out positive. She only told him that he would not have to show up to our next court date if he didn't receive copies of the test results... b/c he would only receive the results IF he were the dad. Shouldn't a man that is having to take a paternity test be given results either way? Nope, not according to DSS... only mom would get a copy in that situation... makes no sense. The results are sent regular mail... what happens if his gets lost in the mail & he doesn't show for court b/c he assumes it was negative?

I also agree... doesn't seem fair that a man should have to pay for a test if he's not daddy. Some women may claim a man is daddy b/c he's got a decent job & hope he doesn't show b/c he knows it's not his... and then ends up declared daddy by default.

Last edited:

ceara19

nextwife said:
But if Mom is going around naming people who are NOT the father, why should a guy who DIDN'T make the child end up stuck paying for a paternity test? It's not the guy's fault mom was having sex wirh multiple partners during the same fertility cycle. Heck, technically, she could name ANYONE, even if she never has sex with them, and they woul;d need to pay for a DNA test so as NOT to be named Dad by default! Who says a prospective Dad can afford to eat the cost anymore than she can? Maybe a guys actual kid will suffer because Dad had to pay for a DNA test for a kid NOT his?
If the guy turns out NOT to be the father, they WON'T have to pay. The only exception to that is if the prospective father REQUESTS the test. In that case, the man is still responsible for paying for the test even if he's not the father. Either way, I've never heard of a situation where ANYONE has to pay for the test UP FRONT if it court ordered.

Personally, I think the mom should have to pay for the test ANY time it comes back negative. If it would cost people a couple of hundred dollars each time, maybe they would think twice about falsely naming someone or sleeping with 4 or 5 guys within a matter of weeks.

N

nicetryadmin

ceara19 said:
I've never heard of that before. Even when a person uses CSE, if the test comes back positive, dad is usually ordered to reimburse the state for the cost of the test. In a paternity case NOT involving CSE, if it's negative, mom pays. But if it's going through CSE, I'm not sure what happens since mom wouldn't be using CSE if she could afford to go to court on her own.
I stand corrected, as I was under the assumption this was part of the responsibility of a CSE agency. I know I didn't have to pay for it.

N

nicetryadmin

ceara19 said:
Personally, I think the mom should have to pay for the test ANY time it comes back negative. If it would cost people a couple of hundred dollars each time, maybe they would think twice about falsely naming someone or sleeping with 4 or 5 guys within a matter of weeks.
Hell, they could just go on Maury time and time again.

"Yeah, I know Mo that this is my ninth time here, but I am 245% sure that this is my baby's daddy." :p

Just Blue

nicetryadmin said:
Hell, they could just go on Maury time and time again.

"Yeah, I know Mo that this is my ninth time here, but I am 245% sure that this is my baby's daddy." :p

I question how "real" these people are....13x's bringing guys in for DNA and still no daddy...Just too gross to think about...:eek:

ceara19

baystategirl said:
I question how "real" these people are....13x's bringing guys in for DNA and still no daddy...Just too gross to think about...:eek:
I don't know why the judge doesn't order the children immediately removed from mom after the 4th or 5th negative paternity test. Having sex with that many people in such a short time is pretty good proof the woman is not fit to raise anything, accept obviously her legs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">