• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who's responsibility is it to stop child support payments from garnished wages?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Iowa Girl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

My son just turned 18 in March and graduated from highschool in May. I have shared custody with my ex-husband and he has paid me child support each month that has been garnished. Just wondering if it is my responsibility to get the payments stopped, or his. I just don't want to keep getting the payments, if down the road several months he realizes they should have stopped and goes after me for repayment.

Last edited:

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Are you talking about when the child emancipates (turns 18 or 20 or graduates from high school)?

Do you have an open case with CSED? If so, have you called your caseworker and asked them?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

My son just turned 18 in March and graduated from highschool in May. I have shared custody with my ex-husband and he has paid me child support each month that has been garnished. Just wondering if it is my responsibility to get the payments stopped, or his. I just don't want to keep getting the payments, if down the road several months he realizes they should have stopped and goes after me for repayment.
It's his responsibility, legally. http://www.iowacourts.gov/Representing_Yourself/DivorceFamily_Law/Child_Support/

http://www.iowacourts.gov/wfdata/files/RepresentingYourself/applicationtomodifychildsupportjune2010.pdf

You could file to end support, if you wish.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">