• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Whose supports

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Damnedad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I got this girl who was married at the time pregnant. She told her husband what happened and they agreed to work it out. She then called me and told me that she wanted me to give her a verbal agreement to David all right to the child so that her and her family can fix this mistake. I agreed and when the child was born the put his name on the birth certificate. A year later they divorced and now she is coming after me for child support. Can she do this ? And what are my rights?

Proserpina

I got this girl who was married at the time pregnant. She told her husband what happened and they agreed to work it out. She then called me and told me that she wanted me to give her a verbal agreement to David all right to the child so that her and her family can fix this mistake. I agreed and when the child was born the put his name on the birth certificate. A year later they divorced and now she is coming after me for child support. Can she do this ? And what are my rights?

It depends. If paternity was disestablished during the divorce then Mom can file for a DNA test and if you're the father you'll be on the hook for child support.

So. Have you been served with anything? Or is she just talking about it?

Damnedad

Not yet! Shes just saying she is.

Proserpina

Nothing yet she talking about it!

Ignore her. Wait until you're served with something.

Unless of course you actually want to establish paternity and be part of your child's life - in which case you go right ahead and file for a paternity test.

(I mean this is about the child, right? Not the money? )

Proserpina

Right it is about the child, but I also have a family of five that I'm trying to support. How has priorty when it come down to CS?

You're expected to support ALL of your children.

Assuming you're established as the father, child support will be based on State guidelines.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
It depends. If paternity was disestablished during the divorce then Mom can file for a DNA test and if you're the father you'll be on the hook for child support.

So. Have you been served with anything? Or is she just talking about it?
I don't think that can happen in Georgia....
THE DISESTABLISHMENT PROCESS
The specific legal steps to disestablish paternity/legitimation are—
1. Voluntary rescission - If the father signed a Paternity Acknowledgment Form, he may rescind that acknowledgment within 60 days of signing it, unless an order has already been entered establishing paternity. This action will remove the father from the Putative Father Registry, but a court order is required to remove the father’s name from the birth certificate and change the child’s last name. Where the Paternity Acknowledgment Form is timely rescinded and includes the Acknowledgment of Legitimation, the legitimation shall also be deemed rescinded. O.C.G.A. §19-7-21.1.
2. Challenging a paternity acknowledgment after 60 days, but prior to the entry of an order – After the 60 day rescission period specified by law, the paternity acknowledgment may be challenged in court but only on the basis of fraud, duress, or material mistake of fact, with the burden of proof on the person challenging the acknowledgment. The legal responsibility of any signatory, including child support obligations, arising from the acknowledgment may not be suspended during the challenge, except for good cause shown. O.C.G.A. §19-7-46.1(c).
3. Motion to set aside – A motion to set aside a determination of paternity may be filed in superior court at any time upon the grounds set forth in O.C.G.A. §19-7-54. The motion must have attached two essential pieces of proof to show that the person ordered to pay support cannot be the biological father: (a) an affidavit showing newly discovered evidence about paternity; and (b) results of a paternity genetic test conducted within 90 days before the motion is filed. Filing the motion, itself, will not necessarily result in disestablishment.
4. Extraordinary motion for new trial - This motion can be filed at any time. The person who files it has to prove the following: (a) when the evidence of non-paternity came to his attention, he acted with appropriate speed to investigate it; (b) he was unaware of the non-paternity before the order was issued; and (c) he could not have known about his non-paternity even if he had acted carefully and reasonably. Filing the motion, itself, will not necessarily result in disestablishment.
http://ois.dhr.georgia.gov/DHR/DHR_CommonFiles/EstablishingPandL_Nov.pdf

LdiJ

nextwife

If the mother(s) of your FIVE other children don't already have court orders for their support, you may wish to encourage them to file now before she does, so their support is established legally. That will assure that the earlier born kids are legally allocated their share of your income before a new order is made.

And start using birth control! Five (or six) kids are alot of kids to support, you may want to reconsider being at risk of creating more.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I would think that the fact that the husband is not the biological father could be considered a "material mistake of fact".

Has anyone here ever seen a divorce case where paternity could not be disestablished this early on? His timeline made it sound like the child wasn't even a year old when they divorced.
Considering that ExH knew? Not exactly a mistake of fact. :cool:

mistoffolees

If the mother(s) of your FIVE other children don't already have court orders for their support, you may wish to encourage them to file now before she does, so their support is established legally. That will assure that the earlier born kids are legally allocated their share of your income before a new order is made.

And start using birth control! Five (or six) kids are alot of kids to support, you may want to reconsider being at risk of creating more.
Yes, please. It really amazes me how many people continue to have more and more children when they can't support the ones they have. Birth control is not expensive or difficult.

CSO286

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Right it is about the child, but I also have a family of five that I'm trying to support. How has priorty when it come down to CS?
Get a vasectomy so you don't produce any more children. The fact that you can reproduce so easily is NOT the fault of the children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">