• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Why can't I file a petition for child support on my own in GA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I am trying to file a petition for child support for my two children who live in Georgia. Their father who is incarcerated in New York is getting out of jail in February and no one understands that all I need is to just get him served with the petition before he is released from jail or there is no hope of ever getting him served, because he will dissapear. Now in New York, I filed for petition for custody on my own and won full custody, but the judge would not rule on child support because the children would be living in Georgia not New York. The child support enforcement people here in georgia are a joke. They say it will take 6months to a year, when I can do it myself in 30 days, but I can't seem to find a link to Geogia court forms anywhere. Wouldn't it be much easier to fly to New York and get him served in jail to appear on a date in March when he is out of jail. Why cant the judge award child support according to minimum wage? Just give the children that percentage because the other parent will at least be making that much? It is such a hassle to get what is rightfully your childrens. What do you think?

Phnx02

vivarantthang said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia

I am trying to file a petition for child support for my two children who live in Georgia. Their father who is incarcerated in New York is getting out of jail in February and no one understands that all I need is to just get him served with the petition before he is released from jail or there is no hope of ever getting him served, because he will dissapear. Now in New York, I filed for petition for custody on my own and won full custody, but the judge would not rule on child support because the children would be living in Georgia not New York. The child support enforcement people here in georgia are a joke. They say it will take 6months to a year, when I can do it myself in 30 days, but I can't seem to find a link to Geogia court forms anywhere. Wouldn't it be much easier to fly to New York and get him served in jail to appear on a date in March when he is out of jail. Why cant the judge award child support according to minimum wage? Just give the children that percentage because the other parent will at least be making that much? It is such a hassle to get what is rightfully your childrens. What do you think?
I don't know GA law, but have a few suggestions. Most states have the CS order established in the state the children live in - this is probably why the NY judge told you to do it in GA. If you can't find GA forms online, take a few hours and go to your local law library. Although no one there is allowed to give out legal advice, there is usually a law student or someone there that will at least direct you to the right bookshelf to look up the information yourself. You will also find all the legal forms attorneys use.
You can hire someone out of GA to serve your ex in NY without you having to fly there to do it yourself. You will pay for the service in GA and they will in turn, pay someone in NY go serve him. Sorry, can't think what this person's job title is that does this, but these people are liscened to do this particular job......you will want to do it this way so you can make sure it was done legally.....they will send you written confirmation of the date & time it was done, along with the liscened person's ID #, as well as possibly a copy of your ex's signature that he did indeed recieve it. Then your ex will have a certain amount of time to respond. But this is no guarantee he will respond and/or show up in court as you wish. If you're afraid he'll "disappear" before you can get him served, he very well may disappear afterwards too. But at least you can get the ball rolling.....If you can get everything to court, a judge may order support based on minumum wage. If you don't get any results from doing this, you may as well file with your state AG office.....yes, it takes them a long time to do things, but it may be better than nothing!?!?!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">