• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A wierd international paternity case: advice wanted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HSTech

I'm a Canadian citizen. A year ago I received a letter from the German embassy that I was being sued by a German lady, whose name I had never heard before, for paternity of her 5 y.o. child. The case was based on 2 pieces of evidence: 1) her statement that she had lived with me in my Berlin apartment for a period of two months in 1999, and 2) a hospital record that the baby was born in 8 months after the mentioned period. But I have never owned or rented an apartment in Berlin! I, however, did visit Berlin occasionally in 1999 for business. That time I was a single professional, much traveling (“dotcom era”, if you remember) and yes, guilty, I had a few one-night stands with random German girls.

I disregarded the letter, thought it was a mistake of some sort. Now I’ve received another letter from the German embassy, they want me to take a DNA test. What should I do?

help in florida

Important here is where is your leagal residency. US or Canada, and what is your legal status in residency country, Advise!!!

members will be able to give you some guidance when residency is stated and applicable laws may and will vary accordingly.

rmet4nzkx

This site is for US laws only.

The reasonable thing to do is to do the DNA test and resolve the issue, if the child is yours, you are responsible, if not, then in the future remember that they sell condoms in Europe also. :rolleyes:

help in florida

Dear rmet4nzkx This site is to assist and counsel for problems in the US. Not sarcastic remarks that help no one.

My question is to see where he lives. Then to perhaps advise once you know where he lives. You sound like an angry person. Lets help this person not beat him up.

So where do you reside, If you tell us we may be able to advise you. Residency will dictate your legal responsibility if you are the father.

HSTech

2 help in Florida:
I a resident of Ontario, Canada. I know this site is for US laws only (or mostly) but some legal sense might help. Is there a way to deny the charge since the lady is obviously lying in her statement that she lived with me in Berlin? If not, and suppose the DNA test is positive:
1) will I have to cover child support for the past years?
2) will the child have my name, etc.?
Thanks.

2 rmet4nzkx:
You are probably right but it's too late now.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
HSTech said:
2 help in Florida:
I a resident of Ontario, Canada. I know this site is for US laws only (or mostly) but some legal sense might help. Is there a way to deny the charge since the lady is obviously lying in her statement that she lived with me in Berlin? If not, and suppose the DNA test is positive:
1) will I have to cover child support for the past years?
2) will the child have my name, etc.?
Thanks.

2 rmet4nzkx:
You are probably right but it's too late now.
Canadian law may be as moot as US law is in this situation. More likely, you need to look into what German law states.

rmet4nzkx

help in florida said:
Dear rmet4nzkx This site is to assist and counsel for problems in the US. Not sarcastic remarks that help no one.

My question is to see where he lives. Then to perhaps advise once you know where he lives. You sound like an angry person. Lets help this person not beat him up.

So where do you reside, If you tell us we may be able to advise you. Residency will dictate your legal responsibility if you are the father.
Your ignorance is showing, OP's country of residence is of no consequence as the child in question is in GERMANY and all provances in Canada are signer of the HAGUE convention. Germany has jurisdiction and can ask for a DNA test, that is how paternity is established. NO one is beating him up, the answer is pretty obvious.

To OP,
Since there is a possibility that the child is yours, take the test, it doesn't matter if it's true that you lived together or not, either your DNA matches or not.

Here is a link which may provide some assistance if you feel there is paternity fraud.

http://www.canadiancrc.com/Paternity_Fraud.htm

rapunzel30

I don't see how a German government will get involved in pursuing this particular case. Remember you are in another country even with the hague agreement how or why would the german government get involved. The issue is whether you want to pursue this if indeed you are the childs father. Are you ready for this? You could just ignore it, if it is in your heart.

rmet4nzkx

rapunzel30 said:
I don't see how a German government will get involved in pursuing this particular case. Remember you are in another country even with the hague agreement how or why would the german government get involved. The issue is whether you want to pursue this if indeed you are the childs father. Are you ready for this? You could just ignore it, if it is in your heart.
Rapunzel, Has someone been pulling your braids? :confused:
The child is in GERMANY that is why the German government is contacting him about taking the DNA test. There can be consequences for failure to take the test and if there is paternity fraud, better to prove it, last but not least, there is the best interest of the child.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
rapunzel30 said:
And you complain about the advice *you* got?

rapunzel30

Just stating the obvious, he needs to decide, whether he wants to pursue this. How would another government pursue this? So they sent a letter, it means nothing. If there is a judgement in this case, how would the german government hope to collect on it? I agree it seems cruel to state that he should just ignore it but ultimately he needs to decide what is best for him.

rmet4nzkx

rapunzel30 said:
Just stating the obvious, he needs to decide, whether he wants to pursue this. How would another government pursue this? So they sent a letter, it means nothing. If there is a judgement in this case, how would the german government hope to collect on it? I agree it seems cruel to state that he should just ignore it but ultimately he needs to decide what is best for him.
If you don't know anything about the law, don't presume to give advice!

You don't even know anything about Florida law to handle your own child support issues, let alone give anyone else advice.

What are you credentials to advise on international law and or child support/paternity issues?

We are not here to advise posters how to break the law or circumvent the law.

Do you know anything about international agreements re child support and custody?

Yes he can be found to be the father by default if he fails to answer, he can be restricted in travels and they CAN collect child support in Canada.

HSTech

2 rmet4nzkx:
You are saying I can be restricted in travel. What do you mean?

2 all:
Will they make me pay for the past years if DNA matches?
Thanks in advance.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Your passport can be taken away.

You would have to research German law to find out what they allow as far as back support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">