• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will I have to Pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mwb

What is the name of your state? Colorado
i have had a court order to pay support and provide insurance since 1988. All valid until she reaches the age of 21. I have never contested either item., However, last year my daughter, age 20, was asked by me, would she like to be added to my insurance at my new job. She stated no, she had insurance. I asked her again 2 months after her baby was born and she stated no, she liked what she had. After that, she made too much money and was dropped by medicare...i was not notified and so she had no insurance, oooopppss emergency appendectomy $20,000.00 My point is this, at age 18 she is legally able to enter into any verbal or written aggreement or contract. When we go to court, her mom and I, I was wondering if anyone thinks I have a leg to stand on. The second request was made in front of witnesses and she does not deny that I asked her. I was not trying to be contemptuos of the court order in any way...it just did not make sense to pay $200 more a month for an insurance policy that was not needed. Had i known that she was uninsured I would have been happy to get her an individual policy..
Thanks,
mwbWhat is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

LdiJ

mwb said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado
i have had a court order to pay support and provide insurance since 1988. All valid until she reaches the age of 21. I have never contested either item., However, last year my daughter, age 20, was asked by me, would she like to be added to my insurance at my new job. She stated no, she had insurance. I asked her again 2 months after her baby was born and she stated no, she liked what she had. After that, she made too much money and was dropped by medicare...i was not notified and so she had no insurance, oooopppss emergency appendectomy $20,000.00 My point is this, at age 18 she is legally able to enter into any verbal or written aggreement or contract. When we go to court, her mom and I, I was wondering if anyone thinks I have a leg to stand on. The second request was made in front of witnesses and she does not deny that I asked her. I was not trying to be contemptuos of the court order in any way...it just did not make sense to pay $200 more a month for an insurance policy that was not needed. Had i known that she was uninsured I would have been happy to get her an individual policy..
Thanks,
mwbWhat is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
I hate to tell you this, but you most sincerely goofed. You never should have cancelled her insurance even if she was on medicaid. However, if she is 20, with a baby and is making too much to be able to get medicaid, then you may be able to get a judge to agree that she is emancipated. Unless you or your ex signed financial responsibility papers at the hospital the medical providers will not go after you either.

However, it was still a very foolish move. You may have saved 200 a month for a few months, but its costing either you and her mother, or your daughter 20,000. That wasn't to anyone's advantage.

fairisfair

Not only that, but her medicaid insurance should have been secondary coverage. If she was eligible for insurance under your coverage, medicaid should have only been used to cover any expenses not covered by your insurance. Not the manner in which assistance is intended to be used!!!!

diggs05

I don't know the system in Colorado but in California if you are 18 and having children and you are supporting yourself your parents are not obligated to provided medical coverage for you. Maybe this will be a good lesson for your family. I agree with you, I don't think you should have to take over your adult child's bills or mistakes if that was the case all parents would be up to their eyeballs in debt.

ceara19

LdiJ said:
I hate to tell you this, but you most sincerely goofed. You never should have cancelled her insurance even if she was on medicaid. However, if she is 20, with a baby and is making too much to be able to get medicaid, then you may be able to get a judge to agree that she is emancipated. Unless you or your ex signed financial responsibility papers at the hospital the medical providers will not go after you either.

However, it was still a very foolish move. You may have saved 200 a month for a few months, but its costing either you and her mother, or your daughter 20,000. That wasn't to anyone's advantage.
To make matters worse, if he is normally only responsible for 50% of medical costs, by not carrying the insurance, he violated to CO and COULD be held responsible for 100% instead.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">