• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

will i have to pay my new husband's back child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

destinyt

What is the name of your state?Oregon, I recently married a man who has back child support that is owed to the state of Oregon. I have heard that the state can take my income taxes to pay off his child support debt, is this true? and if so what do i need to do to avoid it?

rexgto

file as married and get an injured spouse form to go with it....your income is untouchable......and make sure you put everything you buy with your money in your name.....your income is untouchable......anthing you personally own is untouchable.......if you buy something jointly only his half is what they can put a lien on.

DOS2005

Reply to Destiny

destinyt said:
What is the name of your state?Oregon, I recently married a man who has back child support that is owed to the state of Oregon. I have heard that the state can take my income taxes to pay off his child support debt, is this true? and if so what do i need to do to avoid it?
I wouldn't think that anyone can touch your money. You are not responsible for your husbands children from a previous relationship at all. HE IS. They can't take money from you to pay his child support. Separate accounts would be a good idea if you are worried about it. Step parents don't pay for the other parents support.

nextwife

However, injured spouse only guaranties her 50% of the refund. What if she has way overpaid witholding and is due a BIG refund? Better to file seperately and protect the entire thing. She can have her accountant run the numbers BOTH ways and see which works better for her to get her refund back.

And, yes, she should continue to have all her assets seperate. My hubby doesn't pay anymore, as of this year, but I had always kept my assets seperate in case he were ever disabled and unable to work. People DO get sick, and in intact families, nobody "guaranties" that part of the household income may not fluctuate up or down some months, or stop altogether when a person is ill.

jacknjill

nextwife said:
However, injured spouse only guaranties her 50% of the refund. What if she has way overpaid witholding and is due a BIG refund? Better to file seperately and protect the entire thing. She can have her accountant run the numbers BOTH ways and see which works better for her to get her refund back.

And, yes, she should continue to have all her assets seperate. My hubby doesn't pay anymore, as of this year, but I had always kept my assets seperate in case he were ever disabled and unable to work. People DO get sick, and in intact families, nobody "guaranties" that part of the household income may not fluctuate up or down some months, or stop altogether when a person is ill.
I'm married to a man who pays child support, and is current....Our attorney, said that when we get married, keep EVERTHING separate, period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">