• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will my new wife have to pay my child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kbs1299

What state are you in? New Mexico.

I need to know if my fiance will have to pay my child support for me when I stop working or reduce my hours to 12 a week or less during grad school? I will not be able to keep up with the curriculum as well as work even part time. I know I can file for a change in support payment, but would a judge allow payments to be lowered from $500 to $100 (hypothetically) even if both parties agree?

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited:

Zephyr

shewill not be legally required to pay your support, but you will be voluntarily underemployed so likely not eligble for a decrease in your support obligation, you guys could decide as a family that she will pay it so as to not have you slide into arrears and jeopardize any joint accounts or assets

if both parties agree to a decrease- the judge could likely allow it

LdiJ

Kbs1299 said:

I need to know if my fiance will have to pay my child support for me when I stop working or reduce my hours to 12 a week or less during grad school? I will not be able to keep up with the curriculum as well as work even part time. I know I can file for a change in support payment, but would a judge allow payments to be lowered from $500 to $100 (hypothetically) even if both parties agree?

Thanks,
Jim
A judge rarely grants a decrease if someone voluntarily reduces their income....and getting a judge to go from 500 to 100 would virtually never happen. Now, if your ex actually agrees to a reduction that could be a different story.

Your wife won't be legally required to pay your child support, however if she wants to keep you out of jail she will get stuck paying it anyway.

NotSoNew

Kbs1299 said:

Thanks,
Jim
no your wife/fiance doesnt HAVE to pay it, but someone does! its not likely that a judge wouldnt grant you a decrease for those reasons. If both parties agree they would probably lower it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">