• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will SHE have to pay??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

82nd Airborne

NORTH CAROLINA:

I was recently awarded primary custody of my two daughters ages 9 and 3. The mother moved to Ga and prior to our final custody case I was(AM) the sole financial provider of OUR two daughters for well over a year (daycare and school uniforms..the whole 9). I filed for child support and am waiting on a court date. The mom is working in Ga. I am pretty sure I make more money than she does but like I said, I pay for everything. WILL I BE AWARDED ANY CHILD SUPPORT AND WHAT ABOUT IT BEING RETROACTIVE ANY PART OF THE PAST YEAR PLUS? Thanks.

Silverplum

NORTH CAROLINA:

I was recently awarded primary custody of my two daughters ages 9 and 3. The mother moved to Ga and prior to our final custody case I was(AM) the sole financial provider of OUR two daughters for well over a year (daycare and school uniforms..the whole 9). I filed for child support and am waiting on a court date. The mom is working in Ga. I am pretty sure I make more money than she does but like I said, I pay for everything. WILL I BE AWARDED ANY CHILD SUPPORT AND WHAT ABOUT IT BEING RETROACTIVE ANY PART OF THE PAST YEAR PLUS? Thanks.
No need for an ALL CAPS sentence.

Yes, you likely will be awarded child support, and it usually is backdated to the date you filed.

Given your screen name, I'm assuming you served in our military and therefore thank you for your service to our country. :)

Proserpina

NORTH CAROLINA:

Retro, not likely.

Current - well, that could go one of three ways: no child support ordered, child support awarded, and the slightest possibility that you'll have to pay her despite you having custody.

I sincerely hope it's not the latter and I don't think it's likely, but you do need to know it's a possibility however slim.

82nd Airborne

No need for an ALL CAPS sentence.

Yes, you likely will be awarded child support, and it usually is backdated to the date you filed.

Given your screen name, I'm assuming you served in our military and therefore thank you for your service to our country. :)[/

You are welcome. Thanks for the reply. I am in a nonmilitary battle with the mom smh

82nd Airborne

Retro, not likely.

Current - well, that could go one of three ways: no child support ordered, child support awarded, and the slightest possibility that you'll have to pay her despite you having custody.

I sincerely hope it's not the latter and I don't think it's likely, but you do need to know it's a possibility however slim.
Why would i not be awarded support and why might i have to pay her?

Silverplum

Why would i not be awarded support and why might i have to pay her?
Possible income disparity. Like if you make $150K/year and she makes $10K, she likely would not have to pay support to you, and you might even have to pay some support to her to give the children an adequate place to visit. It's rare. Proserpina was being thorough, which is always good. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">