• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will the state go after father for child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I have two mutual friends that has a son (but they are not together anymore). The father of the son was just found to be the father through a paternity test. They knew already, but she had to do the paternity test because she is on food stamps.

The mother doesn't actually want the father to pay child support, she just wants him to babysit so she can work. When they go back to court can she say she doesn't want him to pay child support or is the state just going to go after him anyways?

Any ways to make it so they can't go after him? Can he give up parental rights? Can my friends new husband adopt said child? If they have joint custody will they expect one to pay child support? (The child lives with the mother full time.)

Thank you.

Antigone*

I have two mutual friends that has a son (but they are not together anymore). The father of the son was just found to be the father through a paternity test. They knew already, but she had to do the paternity test because she is on food stamps.

The mother doesn't actually want the father to pay child support, she just wants him to babysit so she can work. When they go back to court can she say she doesn't want him to pay child support or is the state just going to go after him anyways?

Any ways to make it so they can't go after him? Can he give up parental rights? Can my friends new husband adopt said child? If they have joint custody will they expect one to pay child support? (The child lives with the mother full time.)

Thank you.
So it is okay for the State of Ohio to support this child (whom they did not bear):confused: while daddy sits on his booty watching soap operas???

Hold on a sec...friend had child with one man and then married another, and she is still on food stamps???

Here is the bottom line. Mom and dad both need to work to support their creation, the state of Ohio should not have to do that.

Silverplum

Thank you.
We really prefer to deal only with the actual parties to an action. They have all the pertinent information, and it is their business to choose to put on the internet.

So please send one or both of your friends here to sign up for their own account/s, and to ask their own legal questions.

garrula lingua

It is stated, in the Family Code of all states, that both parents have a duty to support their children.

Mom is on public assistance, including (most likely) Medicaid. Obviously, Mom doesn't have the income to save for the child's incidentals (including college) or emergency needs (nevermind basics).

How would it be in the best interests of this child, that his Dad should not pay child support ???

Besides, many men who have to pay c/s become involved with their child by exercising their visitation - that's great for the child !

She says she doesn't want him to pay only because child support will take like half of his check and he won't be able to live off it. And I would have her come and ask on her own, but it would be on my computer anyways....but if you want me to have her do it I will.

Antigone*

She says she doesn't want him to pay only because child support will take like half of his check and he won't be able to live off it. And I would have her come and ask on her own, but it would be on my computer anyways....but if you want me to have her do it I will.
If asking him to pay for his child will "like" take half his check then he needs to get another job. Why should he be any different than any of the other parents in this country honestly supporting and raising their children:mad:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Wrong. It will not be half of his check. Not if it is an administrative order. Unless they are going back to birth and the child is quite old. Dad will have to pay child support. The fact that she is willing to auction her child in order to spare her bed buddy from having to live up to his responsibilities is NOT going to get her very far. If she doesn't want him to pay support then quite frankly she can just NOT apply for food stamps and other state aid. That is the best solution. She can then go out and get a job and support her child without help from the state.

AHA

Thank you.
Tough nuggies, it's not her choice. It is HIS and HER job to support their kids, no one elses!!

LdiJ

Wrong. It will not be half of his check. Not if it is an administrative order. Unless they are going back to birth and the child is quite old. Dad will have to pay child support. The fact that she is willing to auction her child in order to spare her bed buddy from having to live up to his responsibilities is NOT going to get her very far. If she doesn't want him to pay support then quite frankly she can just NOT apply for food stamps and other state aid. That is the best solution. She can then go out and get a job and support her child without help from the state.
In the first post OP said that the parents were no longer together, so she wouldn't be sparing her "bed buddy". However I do agree, if she doesn't want the state going after him for support then she shouldn't be applying for state benefits.

Could it possibly be half his check if daycare and health insurance were factored in? It could in many states.

Daycare for infants in my state is close to 200.00 a week, even in the best of circumstances. I honestly don't know how lower income parents do it.

My daughter just turned down a job because it would have required after hours daycare (because I am not available with the upcoming tax season) and that would have taken 2/3rds of her pay.

Back in the day when I had a full time housekeeper, one of my neighbors volunteered for the job, because she figured that she would actually SAVE a couple of hundred of dollars a week being my housekeeper, even with significantly less pay, because she wouldn't have to pay for daycare anymore, because I was perfectly ok with my housekeeper having her children in tow.

TinkerBelleLuvr

The mother doesn't actually want the father to pay child support, she just wants him to babysit so she can work.
Real simple. He can claim as taxable income what she will PAY him to watch the child while she works. He has income and she gets support.

I expect Mr. Dudette to actually pay taxes on said income. Ms. Dudette also gets a job so that she can pay the babysitter.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
In the first post OP said that the parents were no longer together, so she wouldn't be sparing her "bed buddy".
Actually she would because he went to bed with her to create the child.

However I do agree, if she doesn't want the state going after him for support then she shouldn't be applying for state benefits.
Yep.

Could it possibly be half his check if daycare and health insurance were factored in? It could in many states.
Maybe daycare BUT mom would qualify for Title XX if she is receiving food stamps and/or medicaid. And that would cover child care at a severely reduced rate for the times when mom is working. Also, health insurance is only necessary for hiim to provide if a) it is available through his employer at a reasonable rate (less than 5% of his pay for the child's portion) or b) cash medical IF he earns MORE than 150% of the federal poverty level (most likely he does not) and the child is receiving medicaid. Even then cash medical wouldn't result in half his pay based on the numbers.

Daycare for infants in my state is close to 200.00 a week, even in the best of circumstances. I honestly don't know how lower income parents do it.
There is aid available for people in this situation. Quite frankly many don't do it well however.

My daughter just turned down a job because it would have required after hours daycare (because I am not available with the upcoming tax season) and that would have taken 2/3rds of her pay.

Back in the day when I had a full time housekeeper, one of my neighbors volunteered for the job, because she figured that she would actually SAVE a couple of hundred of dollars a week being my housekeeper, even with significantly less pay, because she wouldn't have to pay for daycare anymore, because I was perfectly ok with my housekeeper having her children in tow.
possible. But under these circumstances half his pay would NOT be taken unless there were giong to be arrearages.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Real simple. He can claim as taxable income what she will PAY him to watch the child while she works. He has income and she gets support.

I expect Mr. Dudette to actually pay taxes on said income. Ms. Dudette also gets a job so that she can pay the babysitter.
An Ohio court would NOT approve of the FATHER being paid to parent his child. That wouldn't fly. Parents parent. they don't watch their child for a profit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">