• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Willful non-payment of child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Silverplum

Okay, but only because I kinda owe you one.

Soooooft kitty
Waaaaaarm kitty
Little ball of furrrrrrrr
Happy kitty
Sleepy kitty
Purr, purr, purrrrrrrrrr
*JOY!*

Purr, purr, purrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

:):):):) Thank you!

(ps - you "owed" me nothing, but I'm NOT giving back the singing! :D)

Proserpina

Well I'm glad someone feels better. I'm still feeling quite sorry for the guy thats owed 150K back CS.

Aw, Zig is fine.

He's promised to take us all on vacation when he collects (once he's bought the private jet, anyway). And really, he has the ultimate satisfaction in knowing that he is a Damn Good Parent.

:cool:

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Sorry for the hijack nachobaybe, but when questions can't really be answered the threads tend to go off on a tangent.

Wasn't a total loss, though. You did get "Soft Kitty" out of it.

Let me offer a few comments.

The good news is, you don't need to prove the 'wilful' element. Rather, your ex needs to proove that he does not have the ability to comply. In order for him do so, he, most likely, will need to testify and waive his 5th amendment right. Once he does, you (your attorney) can cross examine him.

Someone suggested that you use the state agency becuase they're free. However, contempts are extemely difficult to prevail upon, and to succeed, you really need to have extensive discovery completed before. This will not be done properly by DCSS. And, once tried by DCSS, and, if lost, you will not be able to charge him again with the same missed

installments again.

Don't give up. IF he becomes collectable, and IF you remain persistent, you can collect what's owed to you.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What was the name of the judge who gave you the ruling of jail time? I am wondering because my case is also a NY case.

He is facing jail time because of how long he has gone without paying or for the amount. There are certain grounds for it becoming fit for a jail time ruling.
How do you expect anyone to give advice when you don't even give the proper background info. In the current thread, you indicate that CA is the relevant state. Yet, in someone else's thread, you say it's NY. :rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Aw, Zig is fine.

He's promised to take us all on vacation when he collects (once he's bought the private jet, anyway). And really, he has the ultimate satisfaction in knowing that he is a Damn Good Parent.

:cool:
I didn't see this before. Thanks :D

Good friend of mine has a similar situation--here is what happened

2005-- ex was put in jail for 1 day for felony non-support. Was put on 10 years probation and told that if payments were more than 45 days past due, she would have to serve the remainder of her sentence.

2011-- after falling 18 months behind, was put in jail for 4 days. Bonded out. Went to court, the judge looked at the CP and said "I've seen worse", slapped her on the hand and let her go on her way. She is presently, as of this day, 5 months behind SINCE being put in jail in March.

More often than not-- they don't seem to care about enforcing probation or court orders when it involves the NCP going to jail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">