• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Woman requesting paternity test after 16 years!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KK1203

What is the name of your state?Florida
Two days ago my husband received a letter from the Dept. Revenue, Child Support Enforcement Agency that a meeting had been set to establish paternity/support for a child that is now 16 years old. This woman has claimed in the beginning that my husband was the father despite the fact that she had many partners at the time of conception. We don't know if she put his name on the BC as the father, but she has applied in the past for welfare and listed him as the father. My question is this, does he legally have to attend this meeting or should he wait for a court order to appear to take a paternity test? Also, if deemed the father, would my husband have to pay 16 years of back support plus welfare payments that she received? Why would she wait 16 years to request paternity? Thank you in advance for any advice.

LdiJ

KK1203 said:
Two days ago my husband received a letter from the Dept. Revenue, Child Support Enforcement Agency that a meeting had been set to establish paternity/support for a child that is now 16 years old. This woman has claimed in the beginning that my husband was the father despite the fact that she had many partners at the time of conception. We don't know if she put his name on the BC as the father, but she has applied in the past for welfare and listed him as the father. My question is this, does he legally have to attend this meeting or should he wait for a court order to appear to take a paternity test? Also, if deemed the father, would my husband have to pay 16 years of back support plus welfare payments that she received? Why would she wait 16 years to request paternity? Thank you in advance for any advice.
Because the welfare department is forcing her to do so. The states want reimbursement for the welfare that they have provided to children if the father is not paying child support. No he wouldn't have to pay 16 years of back child support PLUS reimburse the state for the welfare payment. The back child support itself would reimburse the state...the mother won't see the money at all.

VeronicaGia

KK1203 said:
Have him get the court ordered DNA test. If he doesn't go, he will lose by default and automatically become the punative father.

LdiJ

VeronicaGia said:
Have him get the court ordered DNA test. If he doesn't go, he will lose by default and automatically become the punative father.
Was that a Freudian slip?...LOL

Punative (as in punishment) father vs putative father? :D

KK1203

The court has not ordered a test as of yet. This is a letter requesting a meeting. He truly does not believe that the child is his.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
He'd be wise to show at the meeting since it sounds as though it is also to establish paternity - if he goes, he can deny that he's the father and request a paternity test. If he doesn't show, he will likely be declared the father by default.

Since there was the possibility that he was the father - why didn't he find out 16 years ago for sure? At least he would have had the chance to get to know his child if she is his.

rmet4nzkx

He should attend the meeting and request the DNA test, in FL a DNA test can be tested thorugh age 22.
Yes the state can collect back child support, so he needs to prove it is not his child by DNA.

drbkt

hello

my husband is in a same situation..there is a lady with 15,5 years old kid is abuot
to go to court for childsupport..what happened with yuors ?? did yuor husband need to have dna testing?

drbkt

i am not a parent

i dont even have any kid..and even my husband refuses he has..never knew he had a kid until now...plus iam trying to figure out how to start new thread..

You are necroposting as the original post is three years old. Please start your own thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">