• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wondering what I can do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MiaRose100907

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Oregon.

My 4 year old daughter and I currently live in Oregon. Her father (never married, nor was there a relationship, AND he has never met her nor seems to show any interest IN meeting her), was paying child support off and on in the beginning when the court order was started. (I contacted the courts regarding support before she turned a year old... I can't remember exactly when I got the order started). Anyway, in the beginning he paid here and there but not consistantly. He then went a good chunk of time not paying anything at all, which got him the $9 grand in back child support.
The state threatened him with suspension of his ODL and this and that and he began to pay again, this time consistantly for, well quite a while.... which brings me to the point I am at now.
August of this year rolls around, and all of a sudden, no child support payment. Here comes September, again no support payment, and STILL to this day no support payment. I notice on his facebook (yes I know), that he has moved to Colorado, and he moved there.... yep, you guessed it, back in August. I understand that moving can be expensive, hell, it's expensive just to move IN state let alone outside of the state, but I would have appreciated a heads up. I am kind of in a tough financial spot now because I no longer get his support.
I contacted the state and let them know what college he's attending and what city he lives in, but that is all I could provide as he will not respond to any of my messages or calls or texts, of course.
According to the state, "they are working on it.." I am getting kind of tired of hearing that answer. I understand that they have a lot of cases they need to work on, but hearing that answer over and over gets a little old.
I guess my question is, is there anything I can do? Or is what I am currently doing all I CAN do?

Thank you for any advice. :)

LdiJ

My 4 year old daughter and I currently live in Oregon. Her father (never married, nor was there a relationship, AND he has never met her nor seems to show any interest IN meeting her), was paying child support off and on in the beginning when the court order was started. (I contacted the courts regarding support before she turned a year old... I can't remember exactly when I got the order started). Anyway, in the beginning he paid here and there but not consistantly. He then went a good chunk of time not paying anything at all, which got him the $9 grand in back child support.
The state threatened him with suspension of his ODL and this and that and he began to pay again, this time consistantly for, well quite a while.... which brings me to the point I am at now.
August of this year rolls around, and all of a sudden, no child support payment. Here comes September, again no support payment, and STILL to this day no support payment. I notice on his facebook (yes I know), that he has moved to Colorado, and he moved there.... yep, you guessed it, back in August. I understand that moving can be expensive, hell, it's expensive just to move IN state let alone outside of the state, but I would have appreciated a heads up. I am kind of in a tough financial spot now because I no longer get his support.
I contacted the state and let them know what college he's attending and what city he lives in, but that is all I could provide as he will not respond to any of my messages or calls or texts, of course.
According to the state, "they are working on it.." I am getting kind of tired of hearing that answer. I understand that they have a lot of cases they need to work on, but hearing that answer over and over gets a little old.
I guess my question is, is there anything I can do? Or is what I am currently doing all I CAN do?

You are pretty much doing all that you can do without spending serious money. You could hire a PI to specifically find him so that you could pass that info to the CSE, but that is going to cost you money.

mistoffolees

There are all sorts of things you CAN do. Whether you should spend the money is a different question.

A couple of months in a case where the person moves out of state isn't all that long. Eventually, the state manages to track people down most of the time. If it were me, I'd do some internet searches to see what you can find out and forward it to CSE and then sit back and wait. If you want to pursue it, you are free to hire an attorney.

How much money are we talking about per month? You've had quite a bit of time now to adjust - I would hope that you've managed to get your expenses in line with your income so that you can survive without the CS. That should be your first priority at this point.

MiaRose100907

There are all sorts of things you CAN do. Whether you should spend the money is a different question.

A couple of months in a case where the person moves out of state isn't all that long. Eventually, the state manages to track people down most of the time. If it were me, I'd do some internet searches to see what you can find out and forward it to CSE and then sit back and wait. If you want to pursue it, you are free to hire an attorney.

How much money are we talking about per month? You've had quite a bit of time now to adjust - I would hope that you've managed to get your expenses in line with your income so that you can survive without the CS. That should be your first priority at this point.

It is about $350 per month, but there were a few months were he paid $400 or more.
I am adjusting, but it's slow. I do not make that much money. I lost my apartment which led me to having to move back in with my mom because he stopped paying. I know I should not have counted on that money, but I did, and now I feel like a horrible mother because I do not have the money to buy my daughter new shoes or things if needed, where before I did.
All of my money, and I mean ALL goes to bills. My mother charges me $400 a month in rent so it's not like I get to stay here for free.
Man, I could save a lot if she'd let me stay for free lol

Anyway, thanks for the replies :) I figured I was doing all I could do, but I'm no expert with the system and there are many people out there who know more than me, so I wanted to make sure I had covered all my bases before I just sit back and wait.
Do I need to continue to call the child support division, or should I just wait for them to contact me once they find something out?

CSO286

It is about $350 per month, but there were a few months were he paid $400 or more.
I am adjusting, but it's slow. I do not make that much money. I lost my apartment which led me to having to move back in with my mom because he stopped paying. I know I should not have counted on that money, but I did, and now I feel like a horrible mother because I do not have the money to buy my daughter new shoes or things if needed, where before I did.
All of my money, and I mean ALL goes to bills. My mother charges me $400 a month in rent so it's not like I get to stay here for free.
Man, I could save a lot if she'd let me stay for free lol

Anyway, thanks for the replies :) I figured I was doing all I could do, but I'm no expert with the system and there are many people out there who know more than me, so I wanted to make sure I had covered all my bases before I just sit back and wait.
Do I need to continue to call the child support division, or should I just wait for them to contact me once they find something out?
They're not going to contact you to to tell you they have an active employer. They will simply start income withholding.

And, no, you cannot ever count on child support as income. Simply having a child support order in place is no guaruntee of payment. You're going to have seek better employment or get another job or multiple jobs....

I'm sorry, but this is the reality of being the custodial parent. You have to make it work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">