• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wonderingwife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tscgd04

can back CS be taken from new wife's taxes?

What is the name of your state? Oregon.
My new husband pays child support through the state of Oregon. He owes some back child support and subsequently his tax refund goes directly to back child support every year. We are concerned about how this will effect my tax refund. Am I in any way responsible for back child support and can my refund be taken by the state of Oregon? He and I reside in Utah now.

Last edited:

tscgd04 said:
My new husband pays child support through the state of Oregon. He owes some back child support and subsequently his tax refund goes directly to back child support every year. We are concerned about how this will effect my tax refund. Am I in any way responsible for back child support and can my refund be taken by the state of Oregon? He and I reside in Utah now.
In Illinois if his name is attached to it they can take it...you, however, can file a grievance stating that part of it belongs to you...and they will take that into consideration and refund your part...........If I were you I would file separately just to avoid confusion......just a thought :D

sroutlaw

Ignore the above and save yourself some hassle and some money as well. File what is called and Injured Spouse form with the IRS right along with your taxes. It is very straightforward and will ensure monies you are entitled to reach you. It will increase your wait for the refund by about six weeks, but that is worth it.
Steph

Gracie3787

tscgd04 said:
You have 2 choices:

1. File a joint return and enclose an Injured Spouse form, then you will get only your portion of refund- his will be taken for CS.

2. File seperately.

You should keep all of YOUR monies, assests, etc. comepletely seperate from hubby's even after bach support is caught up.

No, you are not responsible for your hubby's CS- he is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">