• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wont cash checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SecondWifeAZ

What is the name of your state? AZ

My husbands ex-wife has 2years of medical support checks from us. She refuses to cash them. We have a child in need of medical treatment. We have no medical insurance and cannot get help from the state due to the money in the bank account to cover the checks. If we use the money in the account to pay for his medication and treatments. She may decide thats when shes going to cash the check. ( excuse my spelling havent slept in days)

Advise please

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Have Dad send certified checks. The money comes out, he gets a receipt, and she can't later claim that he never paid.

N

NoDiggety

stealth2 said:
Have Dad send certified checks. The money comes out, he gets a receipt, and she can't later claim that he never paid.
There might be a problem with the ex hanging onto the checks...IIRC, checks are void after a specific amount of time (I believe it's 120 days), so even if she tries to cash them, the bank will reject them.

OP...you might want to check with your bank's policy. I might be confusing this with business-issued checks...

SecondWifeAZ

Wont cash cecks

Thank You,
Your advise helps alot. I will check with the bank and also start using certified checks. Sometimes the simplest of solutions is hard to see. Thank you for your help.:)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
NoDiggety said:
There might be a problem with the ex hanging onto the checks...IIRC, checks are void after a specific amount of time (I believe it's 120 days), so even if she tries to cash them, the bank will reject them.

OP...you might want to check with your bank's policy. I might be confusing this with business-issued checks...
Actually for the most part as long as the check is good (as in written on an open account) there is no such thing as a stale check. At least not according to Commercial Transactions Law (banking law) course that I took.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Ohiogal said:
Actually for the most part as long as the check is good (as in written on an open account) there is no such thing as a stale check. At least not according to Commercial Transactions Law (banking law) course that I took.
A certified check shouldn't be a problem in that regard. The money comes out of the account, similar to a money order.

haiku

stealth2 said:
A certified check shouldn't be a problem in that regard. The money comes out of the account, similar to a money order.
and easier to keep your own check book in balance instead of what waiting for "last minute sallies" to cash thier checks....

Suggestion...

SecondWifeAZ said:
My husbands ex-wife has 2years of medical support checks from us. She refuses to cash them.
I had a similar problem...ex held my personal checks for medical reimbursement for several months and wait to cash them all until the children were with me for periods of extended vistitation.

I switched to paying her online through my bank just like any other bill. The bank sends her a check and debits my account. After 90 days, the bank automatically stops payment on the check and reimburses my account. This has happened in my situation several times. I transfer those amounts into a savings account. Then I forget about it. The nice thing about it is that I have an independent third-party record showing that payment was sent in a timely fashion.

In your case, put the extra money in your piggy bank in case you ever get hauled back into court. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">