• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Working under the table

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

freelady1

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
My ex got fired from a very high paying job 2 months before we finalized the divorce. I agreed to allow the amount of child support to be reduced and be reviewed again in 1 year. After 20 years of marriage I know he is not staying unemployed. In the past, he collected unemployment and worked under the table. Is there any way I can find out if he is working on the side? None of this money will appear on W2s or 1099s. He thinks child support is money for me, not for he 2 children. He is also angry that the children (both teens who reside with me) don't want to visit him because of his past abuse.

freelady1 said:
In the past, he collected unemployment and worked under the table. Is there any way I can find out if he is working on the side?
Follow him. If that doesn't work, look under tables and around sides.

freelady1

thanks

I had thought about a private investigator, but I don't have that kind of cash to spend. I will probably just do nothing, which is, of course, what he wants.
To Inquiry123..... Your snide comments are not appreciated nor funny.

ceara19

freelady1 said:
I had thought about a private investigator, but I don't have that kind of cash to spend. I will probably just do nothing, which is, of course, what he wants.
It is understandable that you don't appreciate the comment Inquiry made. But it IS funny. You're asking how to prove that something is happening when there is no proof.

FYI - Visitation is not dependant on what the child WANTS. If the court orders visitation, you are OBLIGATED that you follow the order.

GrowUp!

ceara19 said:
It is understandable that you don't appreciate the comment Inquiry made. But it IS funny..
I was going to suggest just moving the table to see if he's underneath it...ya know, in case she has bad knees. But now that I think about it...a bad back would prevent her from moving the table. That's when you ask for help.
Oh..and she wanted to know if he was working on the side. A quick look to the left or right would indicate whether he was working on the side. Unless we're talking about the side of a building.
:D :p

Last edited:
freelady1 said:
Freelady:

I guessed that you wouldn't have the cash -- that's why I suggested "Follow him". I assume that you've watched enough TV to understand that's exactly what a private investigator would do. Take a picture of him "at work". OK...then you'll have found out if he's working on the side.

And what will you do once you're reasonably sure that he's working under the table? I'm guessing the same thing you did when you benefited from him collecting unemployment and working under the table before -- Nothing. And that is, of course, what he wants. Appreciate that.

Good luck.

yikes9999

"I agreed to allow the amount of child support to be reduced and be reviewed again in 1 year."

Did you "agree" or did the court order the amount reduced because the man was
fired from his job and could not possibly pay the same amount?

"He is also angry that the children (both teens who reside with me) don't want to visit him because of his past abuse."[/QUOTE]

His past "abuse" of you, or your children? Was this the grounds for your divorce?

"He thinks child support is money for me, not for he 2 children"

Is this what you tell your teenagers? Does father have court ordered visitation with the children that is not being enforced?

Do the teenagers plan to live with you and go to college? If so, you could be receiving support from their father until they are TWENTY-THREE years old.

Perhaps you should change your login name to "freelunchlady".

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">