• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Working under table and getting child support lowered

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scook2000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI
Is there anything that can be done about a man working under the table so he does not have to pay support. My ex has gotten support lowered twice in the last 2 years due to this now he is only paying $23 per week. Income was imputed at minimal wage for 30 hours per week and my son has actually gone to jobs and has done the work that his dad is getting paid for. The friend of the court still lowers the support when he asks for it. They also told me that I had to prove he was working with pictures. Is there anything I can do?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI
Is there anything that can be done about a man working under the table so he does not have to pay support. My ex has gotten support lowered twice in the last 2 years due to this now he is only paying $23 per week. Income was imputed at minimal wage for 30 hours per week and my son has actually gone to jobs and has done the work that his dad is getting paid for. The friend of the court still lowers the support when he asks for it. They also told me that I had to prove he was working with pictures. Is there anything I can do?
Sure. Prove he is working. :rolleyes:

Pictures aren't the only way. You could also subpoena the employer, but my guess is that the employer will deny it because he's probably violating a whole slew of laws by not reporting the income. Or you could subpoena other workers.

You could also try to have him imputed at minimum wage for 40 hours. Is there any reason they only used 30 hours? Is that a MI thing?

gam

Sure. Prove he is working. :rolleyes:

Pictures aren't the only way. You could also subpoena the employer, but my guess is that the employer will deny it because he's probably violating a whole slew of laws by not reporting the income. Or you could subpoena other workers.

You could also try to have him imputed at minimum wage for 40 hours. Is there any reason they only used 30 hours? Is that a MI thing?
Same question I was going to ask. What is the reason they only used 30 hours? It is not a Mi thing, Mi will impute at 40 hours, if they deviate from the Mi child support formula, it must be on record what that deviation is and why they are deviating. Was this done?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">