• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Working under the table - proving hidden income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiderkitten352

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

My husband wants a divorce. At the present time he is bringing in VA Disability income, but he's also working under the table and bringing in at least $1k per month in addition to his VA. This has been going on for months now and will not be stopping any time soon. His choice of "work" is one of the reasons for the divorce. (He's a "shaman" now)

We have 3 children together and even working 2 jobs I can't afford to care for them without his help. He's offered to continue to support us by paying the rent & bills & such, but I know that will end at some point.

When the divorce goes to court, and child support is addressed, how can I prove the additional income he's bringing in?

Last edited:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

My husband wants a divorce. At the present time he is bringing in VA Disability income, but he's also working under the table and bringing in at least $1k per month in addition to his VA. This has been going on for months now and will not be stopping any time soon. His choice of "work" is one of the reasons for the divorce. (He's a "shaman" now)

We have 3 children together and even working 2 jobs I can't afford to care for them without his help. He's offered to continue to support us by paying the rent & bills & such, but I know that will end at some point.

When the divorce goes to court, and child support is addressed, how can I prove the additional income he's bringing in?

Hire a PI.

(What makes you so sure you'll be the custodial parent, by the way?)

spiderkitten352

Hire a PI.

(What makes you so sure you'll be the custodial parent, by the way?)
Because we agreed that I would keep the children since his "job" requires him to travel the country constantly and he doesn't want the extra baggage of the children with him.

We've agreed to keep their lives as stable as possible in all of this, but I know that he could change his mind by the time we get to court.

Also, what can a PI do for this that I can't do on my own? I still handle the finances he provides, makes sure bills are paid, etc. He still lives here when he's not on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">