• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Working under the table, verifying income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

Yes Basically I'm wondering if they will accept his word, I am just guessing that they would appreciate the fact that he is employed and is making money, I am employed full time as well, but my income is of course not counted towards his child support obligation. If he has to produce proof of this income, do you think it's acceptable that he simply tells them who all he has worked for? or produces invoices of some type? It's a difficult situation because there are clients who wouldn't use him if they can't pay him in this manner but we couldn't afford to lose those clients as they are his only source of income.... but at the same time I wouldn't want the court to require him to participate in a work program when he is gainfully employed... I'm just not quite sure what is best at handling this situation. We have 4 other children in our home, that we support as well. And he has joint custody with the ex, no problems there. We just need the child support modified because there is a big difference in making over a hundred thousand a year to about 1500 a month for him.
If your husband is self-employed, then he is required, for tax purposes, to have good bookkeeping records. Therefore, he should have no problem proving his accurate income.

No, they will not take his word for it, but they will accept bookkeeping records and the documentation that backs up those records.

However, they may also consider him to be voluntarily underemployed, so there is no guarantee that they will not impute a higher income.

okiewife

The results of the hearing!

They have accepted his self proclaimed income and they did not impute him at a higher earning (in fact they computed it at minimum wage and he even told them he makes a bit more than that), and they could not consider him underemployed as he doesn't have a degree or specialized training, they couldn't even consider his welding license because it's expired and he did not renew it this year. I just thought I would let everyone know how the hearing turned out today. It was big relief to us and a much much lower monthly child support payment!
I hope this can help someone else down the line!

They have accepted his self proclaimed income and they did not impute him at a higher earning (in fact they computed it at minimum wage and he even told them he makes a bit more than that), and they could not consider him underemployed as he doesn't have a degree or specialized training, they couldn't even consider his welding license because it's expired and he did not renew it this year. I just thought I would let everyone know how the hearing turned out today. It was big relief to us and a much much lower monthly child support payment!
I hope this can help someone else down the line!
Thank you for keeping us updated with your case. It is very helpful to hear actual explanation's from the court.

pradagirl44

child support

how do i verify my child's fathers income? he says he is not working, but he has continued to pay child support on time every week (via his wife). They just bought a new house and a new car. I want in increase in child support.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

first, individuals do not 1099 people. (anybody feel free to correct me if I am wrong but I do not believe I am).
You're wrong, not that it matters here. Individuals can indeed need to issue 1099's. There's a whole list of things that qualify. It's also one of the greatest omitted things for certain personal services type things (individual child care providers, housekeeping contractors, etc...).

If you receive money, you're expected to report it, whether you're being 1099'd for it or not. You only get 1099'd at the end of the year, so it's wishful thinking on his part to think that he'll never get caught not reporting his income and making the estimated tax payment.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
how do i verify my child's fathers income? he says he is not working, but he has continued to pay child support on time every week (via his wife). They just bought a new house and a new car. I want in increase in child support.
We would appreciate it if you wouldn't necropost. The original thread has been dead for two years now.... :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">