• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Worst Case Scenario

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DeadBeatDude

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

So, my crazy baby mama has gone off the deep end. Restraining orders are in place and I am praying I am not the father. If I am, what is the worst case scenario? I make $110k. I do not want to have anything at all to do with the mother EVER. I will pay whatever I am legally obligated to pay. When I went to the WA state online calculator it said I would pay about $1000/month in child support. Not too bad. But last time she screamed at me that I'd be paying all the kid's medical bills, private school, etc... How much can she really force me to spend? How expensive could this get?

ecmst12

Worst case scenario, the kid is yours and never gets to know his/her dad because you can't figure out how to enforce your rights and/or deal with your ex.

You should count on being ordered to pay at least half of the kid's medical expenses and other reasonable/expected costs. And yes, children are expensive.

DeadBeatDude

You people giving me a hard time don't understand. This woman is a mentally ill con artist with a criminal record. I'm betting that if the child is mine she will end up losing it and I will be granted sole custody. At which point I might raise it or maybe put it up for adoption if I could.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You people giving me a hard time don't understand. This woman is a mentally ill con artist with a criminal record. I'm betting that if the child is mine she will end up losing it and I will be granted sole custody. At which point I might raise it or maybe put it up for adoption if I could.
You will NOT be able to put "it" up for adoption if you got sole custody. Why would you sleep with such a person? Seriously, that says a lot about your character, or lack thereof.

DeadBeatDude

Is there any scenario in which I could put the baby up for adoption?

Why? I didn't know she was this way when we had sex. Also, she's a con-artist: This means she is a master of persuasion. She built my confidence in her with lies. I fell for the trap. This means I am gullible and trusting, not that I lack character.

Why the insults?

CSO286

No, there is not. You cannot take this child away from his/her mother. A child cannot be put up for adoption without the consent of BOTH parents.

Why? I didn't know she was this way when we had sex.
Then you should have gotten to know her better before you "messed around with her." (Direct quite from your previous thread.)

Also, she's a con-artist: This means she is a master of persuasion. She built my confidence in her with lies. I fell for the trap. This means I am gullible and trusting, not that I lack character.
Actually, that you would"mess around with" someone without getting to know them well says far more about your character than any possilbe gullibility or naïveté you may or may not possess.

Why the insults?
  • Because you are trying to force your will on another.
  • Because you are refusing take responsiiblity for your actions.
  • Because you are looking for ways to completely escape the consequences of your lack of judgment.
  • Because this poor child is going to grow up and one day learn that not only did you NOT want him/her, but that you also tried to make sure there was no way he/she would be able to live with his/her mother, either, regardless of Mom's wishes in the matter, all because you didn't want to pay child support or man up.

Take your pick.

You asked about child support costs at one point. Play with the numbers here: https://fortress.wa.gov/dshs/csips/ssgen/

Expext to also have to provide or contribute to health coverage and pay a portion of childcare costs, uninsured medical expenses and a portion the child's educational expenses as the child grows.

anearthw

Why? I didn't know she was this way when we had sex. Also, she's a con-artist: This means she is a master of persuasion. She built my confidence in her with lies. I fell for the trap. This means I am gullible and trusting, not that I lack character.

Why the insults?
This doesn't matter.

Unless you are deemed mentally incompetent by professionals (thus 'persuasion' was grooming/sexual assault) then none of your personal beliefs about this woman matter. You made a CHOICE and it turned out to be the wrong one. Persuasion, con artist, mentally ill, none of those terms matter here. Do you know how many "baby mamas" say the same thing about the male? Too many.

If you make $110k a year then you need to get a lawyer and sort out your future with this (potential) child. Meanwhile, you do not need to communicate with this woman until you are legally found the be the father and you would be wise to retain an attorney. WA state websites have support estimators but that requires the income of the receiving person - if she makes NOTHING then you are looking at around $1200ish but that is inaccurate guesstimate without more details.

CSO286

What is the nature of her criminal record? Hint: Lots of parents have criminal records. doesn't mean they lose thier children over them.

And are you qualified to diagnose psychiatric disorders? And are you qualified to treat/diagnose someone you have gotten pelvic with???? (hint: It would be an ethics breach to treat/diagnose someone you have/had a romantic relationship with.)

And if you got custody of the child, you still would not be able to put the child up for adoption without Mom's consent.

Her record/mental illness and ongoing behavior would have to be severe enough that a court would terminate her parental rights. From what you've posted, that's not likely.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Why the insults?
Not unless mom agrees to put the child up for adoption. YOu apparently didn't know her well enough before you decided that she was a perfect receptacle for your penis. Yes, it means you have a lack of character that you would sleep with a crazy person and then want to take HER child from her and give the child up for adoption because you don't want to deal with the consequences of your actions. They are not insults. They are truth. Try dealing with that. You came on here criticizing the woman you chose to make a mother (having sex with her means you chose her as a mother of your child) and then want to know why you aren't greeted with compliments and candy and flowers?

Proserpina

Her record/mental illness and ongoing behavior would have to be severe enough that a court would terminate her parental rights.
And the parent would likely have be institutionalized or incarcerated, in all honesty, in this state.

Parents with diagnosed co-existing mental conditions (take schizoaffective disorder, a personality disorder AND bipolar disorder - in the same parent - for example) can retain custody of their children.

Try again, deadbeat.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">