• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it worth it to go after biological father?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

southernrlady

What is the name of your state?FLORIDA.
My daughter is 8 years old, her father, left Florida when she was 5 months old, and is in S.C.. I have researched on the internet and found him there, there has never been any support ordered here. I want to know am I asking for trouble if I try to get support from him? Will he have the right to see her? He is a alcoholic, and is very unstable mentally now.He never signed the birth certificate, and is now saying that he is disabled from a car accident and trying to recieve social security. How does the child support work in Florida?Any information will be greatly appreciated.

S

somedude

Like snostar stated, paternity officially has to be established in order to get support.

If it is determined he is the biodad, he will have every right to visitation -- even custody -- for his child. You have to actually prove he is unstable and/or an alcoholic. Simply stating it isn't good enough. It sounds like you are going by how he was 8 years ago and you have not a clue what he's like now (after all, you found him via an internet search!!!).

If he is disabled and unable to work, CS will be taken from social security. If he truly IS unstable and/or an alcoholic, you have to decide if opening up the can of worms is worth it.

But then again, you don't even know what the alleged biodad is like today anyway. A simple call to your county CSEA should be able to answer questions you might have.

Bocsznik_darlin

first things first. Child support and visitation are two different things.
second: even if he was disabled, this does not free him from responsibility or obligation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">