• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Would I have to pay child support if my parental status had never been established

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Eitam

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I have no proof but strongly suspect that I am the father of a 1.5 year old baby girl.

The mother and I were not in a healthy or strong relationship when she became pregnant. Disagreements about whether or not we should have a baby, and the nature of our relationship post birth had lead to very bitter emotions on both sides. The mother had frequently express her desire to raise the child without me, and gave me the impression that I am an unwanted person in her life. For example, She had named another man as the father on the birth certificate (To the best of my knowledge, he is not aware of that fact, nor is he paying child support), and had repeatedly denied my requests for a DNA paternity test before and after the birth. I had not been involved in the child's life at all, and I am prepared to bring closure to this chapter of my life.

Can I terminate my rights of being a father without ever being acknowledged as one, or must I first petition a request to be acknowledged as the biological parent?
If she changes her mind, can the mother (or the child) request child support from me in the future even though I was never proven of being the biological father?

Any information on this matter would be helpful and greatly appreciated,

Thank you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I have no proof but strongly suspect that I am the father of a 1.5 year old baby girl.

The mother and I were not in a healthy or strong relationship when she became pregnant. Disagreements about whether or not we should have a baby, and the nature of our relationship post birth had lead to very bitter emotions on both sides. The mother had frequently express her desire to raise the child without me, and gave me the impression that I am an unwanted person in her life. For example, She had named another man as the father on the birth certificate (To the best of my knowledge, he is not aware of that fact, nor is he paying child support), and had repeatedly denied my requests for a DNA paternity test before and after the birth. I had not been involved in the child's life at all, and I am prepared to bring closure to this chapter of my life.

Can I terminate my rights of being a father without ever being acknowledged as one, or must I first petition a request to be acknowledged as the biological parent?
If she changes her mind, can the mother (or the child) request child support from me in the future even though I was never proven of being the biological father?

Thank you.
You are not a father. You have no rights. If you want to be acknowledged as the biological father then you should be prepared to support your child if the court deems you to be the father.

CJane

For future reference -

No, she did not name another man as father w/out his knowledge. In an unmarried situation, the only way to have a father's name put onto a child's birth certificate is if the father is present and both he and the mother complete a paternity affidavit, and/or a court orders it after a paternity test.

There is no way - if you are able to establish yourself as the father to this child - to then turn around and terminate the responsibility that goes along with that.

And yes, assuming the child does not currently have a legal father, at any point, the mother could attempt to establish that you're the father of the child, and if successful, pursue a court order for child support.

Just Blue

Thank you.
Q1) How can you "terminate" what you never had?
Q2) ^^^^^^^^^^^

Free advice:

www.mentalhelth.org

LdiJ

Thank you.
The bolded is impossible unless she was legally married to this other man at the time that she gave birth.

Proserpina

The bolded is impossible unless she was legally married to this other man at the time that she gave birth.
I'm thinking OP actually means that Mom & the other guy signed the paternity papers...and that the other guy wasn't aware that there were more options for Mom..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">