• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Year - end support payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gr8 Dad

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois This is my first post on this site. I've been paying support for thirteen years; faithfully. As long as I pay my support on time, I'm able to claim my child on my income tax. I went to the courthouse to make my final year end payment on December 30th. I received a copy of my check and a stamped receipt showing "Received" with the date December 30th. Now, this morning I get a call from the courthouse telling me that although they received my check on the 30th, it's not actually considered "Received" until today, the 3rd of January, because they were closed for the holiday. This can't be right. Last year I went to the courthouse to make my payment - called first to see how long they were going to be open- got there and they decided to close early. It kind of makes me wonder if my ex-wife knows someone at the courthouse.

BL

Go ahead and file for the tax credit. provide proof of your payments , as well as the Date you made the last one ( the 30th ). Just because the court didn't credited it till after x-mas didn't mean you didn't pay it.

You're entitled to it .

VeronicaGia

Welcome Gr8dad! :)

I would consider the written documentation as proof that this has been paid in time. They can tell you anything they want, you have the written proof that you paid on time and in person. Just don't lose that receipt.

I'm wondering why someone would take the time to call you though. Are you their only case? (Sarcasm intended.)

BL

I'm wondering why someone would take the time to call you though. Are you their only case? (Sarcasm intended.)
Yeah, I kinda missed that part. Really !! The court house doesn't prepare or deny or approve a tax credit :rolleyes:

Gr8 Dad

Illinois. Thanks for your replys!!
Blonde Lebinese said:
Yeah, I kinda missed that part. Really !! The court house doesn't prepare or deny or approve a tax credit :rolleyes:
This is my point exactly. They returned a call that I had made to them earlier about the total amount due, but she also let me know, that although I paid everything in full on the 30th it really doesn't count. I think it's bull myself, since I do have a stamped receipt showing received on the 30th. I just wonder if anyone else has ever run into this problem or if there are any suggestions?

VeronicaGia

Gr8 Dad said:
Illinois. Thanks for your replys!! This is my point exactly. They returned a call that I had made to them earlier about the total amount due, but she also let me know, that although I paid everything in full on the 30th it really doesn't count. I think it's bull myself, since I do have a stamped receipt showing received on the 30th. I just wonder if anyone else has ever run into this problem or if there are any suggestions?
I would claim the child, keep the receipt as proof that it was paid in time. Heck, they could hold checks for months if they wanted to, and in our case, did just that (though our situation didn't include a tax deduction).

You have proof it was paid in full on December 30 by CSE. The written receipt, IMHO, trumps anything anyone told you verbally.

nextwife

The date they get around to processing it is NOT your problem. You have proof you paid by year end. Take your deduction, you physically delivered it to them, their decision to sit on it is outside your control.

I KNOW for a fact that many municipalities, for excample, do this "delayed processing" with property tax payments as well. They stamp them when recieved, but they may sit in a box for some time before they are ctaully processed and sent on the the bank. These are STILL for tax deduction purposes, considered PAID in the year the recieved stamp shows it ws paid..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">