• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Zeroed out child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Smith7831

I have been fighting my disability case for the past 5 years. In that time my ex wife was a bit understanding about payments. I finally won and I started getting disability benefits. I give her money every month from that, she and I talked about it and decided to close the case. We both talked to our worker and signed the paperwork that agrees to close the case it was submitted to a judge he signed it. I received a letter telling me it was closed out and all back child support was at zero. This Thursday a new worker called me telling me they made a mistake and I still got to pay all back child support. My question is if the judge closed the case and I got the documents that read that do I have to pay or do I fight it?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I have been fighting my disability case for the past 5 years. In that time my ex wife was a bit understanding about payments. I finally won and I started getting disability benefits. I give her money every month from that, she and I talked about it and decided to close the case. We both talked to our worker and signed the paperwork that agrees to close the case it was submitted to a judge he signed it. I received a letter telling me it was closed out and all back child support was at zero. This Thursday a new worker called me telling me they made a mistake and I still got to pay all back child support. My question is if the judge closed the case and I got the documents that read that do I have to pay or do I fight it?
Depends. At any time were your ex-wife/children on state aid?

LdiJ

Are you receiving SSDI? Are your children receiving benefits from your SSDI? Did your children received back pay as well as you?

Was your ex on any kind of state benefits while you were not paying child support? If so, some of the arrears would be owed to the state rather than to your ex, and your ex would not be able to waive that portion of the arrears.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">