• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

24Hr Fitness ,embezzelment from checking !

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NikRik

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My wife was a member at 24hr fitness for a couple of years they where given access to our checking account in the way of automatic billing and payment ! Her membership fee was $24.00 per monthh and they always took the pmt out on the 5th of each month. Well looking over my online banking statemet for Nov 2008 ,I noticed another 24r entry on the 15th of the month in which a additionial $59.99 was taken out of our checking account. I started going back through all of our banking statemnets to find that for the last eight months they have taken out this additionial monies . My wife has not even attended the place for a year and has cancelled her menbership which was a no contract month to month menbership ! I figure we could work this out by simply making copies of the overcharges and recieve a check paying us back . I took the copies to the manager at the 24hr Fitness and he said he would get back to me in one week on a Friday I waited all day that Friday and then around four o'clock P.M. I called him . No apoligy for not calling ,no personality period. He said he would call the billing Dept and call me back on Monday . Monday came and went no phone call ? I called on Tuesday and they said the manager was out for aprx 1 hour and that they would give him message to call me when he returned hour came and went ,two hours came and went no call ! I called again still manager was unaccessable ! Never recieve any return call on Tuesday. We have been playing this cat and mouse game for almost two weeks now . I have in my message demanded payment in full NOW for the $500 + they owe my wife and I ! I would greatly appreciate the advice or comments from my fellow forum members .
Thank You ,NikRikU.S.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I suggest you contact member services. If that doesn't get results, send a demand letter.

http://www.24hourfitness.com/company/contact_us/

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My wife was a member at 24hr fitness for a couple of years they where given access to our checking account in the way of automatic billing and payment ! Her membership fee was $24.00 per monthh and they always took the pmt out on the 5th of each month. Well looking over my online banking statemet for Nov 2008 ,I noticed another 24r entry on the 15th of the month in which a additionial $59.99 was taken out of our checking account. I started going back through all of our banking statemnets to find that for the last eight months they have taken out this additionial monies . My wife has not even attended the place for a year and has cancelled her menbership which was a no contract month to month menbership ! I figure we could work this out by simply making copies of the overcharges and recieve a check paying us back . I took the copies to the manager at the 24hr Fitness and he said he would get back to me in one week on a Friday I waited all day that Friday and then around four o'clock P.M. I called him . No apoligy for not calling ,no personality period. He said he would call the billing Dept and call me back on Monday . Monday came and went no phone call ? I called on Tuesday and they said the manager was out for aprx 1 hour and that they would give him message to call me when he returned hour came and went ,two hours came and went no call ! I called again still manager was unaccessable ! Never recieve any return call on Tuesday. We have been playing this cat and mouse game for almost two weeks now . I have in my message demanded payment in full NOW for the $500 + they owe my wife and I ! I would greatly appreciate the advice or comments from my fellow forum members .
Thank You ,NikRikU.S.
You should also contact your bank and have the last two month's worth of charges reversed. You need to file a fraud claim. Unfortunately the bank will only go back 60 days. Also ask for a revoke authorization to be placed on the account blocking 24-hour Fitness from debiting again.

Just one other piece of advice. It is really important to look at your bank statements each month. Banks are generally very good at reversing any fraudulent items within the 60-day window, but usually will not passed that.

take care, ana

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">