• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

4 yr old check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lindeekj

What is the name of your state? Iowa

I have a check that I just found that I had forgot about. It is for a few thousand dollars, but is about 4 yrs old. It was issued from a financial institution. Can I still cash this check?

JETX

lindeekj said:
I have a check that I just found that I had forgot about. It is for a few thousand dollars, but is about 4 yrs old. It was issued from a financial institution. Can I still cash this check?
You can certainly try it, but don't be surprised if the check comes back on you. The UCC requires only that a check be valid for 180 days from its issue, and any time after that, the payer can reject the check.
Also, it is possible that the checking account has been closed or moved.

Make a copy of the check, then cash or deposit it. If YOUR bank accepts it, do NOT spend the funds for at least 14 days.... to give the payers bank the chance to refuse to accept the check. Lots of people have caused themselved problems by immediately spending the 'windfall'.... then having their bank come back and deman repayment after the payers bank has refused the check.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">