• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Action against NY corporation by overseas employee, possible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Alien4841

What is the name of your state? New York

Greetings,

I am an IT consultant based in Europe and have something titled "Employment contract" with US company incorporated in New York, NY.

I am also employed by a "daughter" company of said US corporation; incorporated in the country in which I currently work.

According to a verbal agreement, part of the compensation was to be paid by the company in the country in which I perform services; part was to be paid "tax-free" by yet another "daughter" company from Jersey, Channel Islands. The amount and structure of the compensation are fixed in written.

The Jersey company had to be dissolved due to several reasons, following which for some time the payments were made by the US corporation directly. The company has stopped making the payments, because "it would not be legal to do so".

I know this question is rather ambiguous, but:

is there a legal basis to sue the US company for unpaid compensation, in the US court?

Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">