• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Actual Malice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Keyrubell

Greetings,

I am a U.S. Navy Veteran and I recently graduated from Drexel University. I was a victim of identity theft in 2006 from a former barracks roommate. I discovered this when I received a letter from a bail bondsman stating I was arrested and posted bail when, in fact, I wasn’t.

I immediately called the bondsman to inform him of what has happened. I had my suspicions because of the character of my ex roommate, some how I just knew it was him. I drove to the Norfolk Virginia Police department from High Point, North Carolina, to straighten things out. I gave them the suspect’s real name and left thinking the matter was resolved. There is a police report that documents this.

Since then, I’ve applied to many full time and part time jobs only to get no response. Very recently, a cousin of mine contacted me and informed me that he Google my name and court dockets from two dates came up (Aug 27, 2007 and Jan 04, 2007) associating me with felony allegations that were untrue

As far as I’m concerned, they should have used the correct name, the name of the defendant (Tyleik Singleton) and not mine. But they didn't. And now it is posted on the internet for everybody to see, including potential employers who I apply for.

I'm assuming that it is common practice for employers to use Google’s convenient search engine to screen out names of their numerous applicants to save time. If this is the case, than it has significantly decreased all my chances of attaining full time summer internship employment in the past that would have been very beneficial to my future career. Finding employment is extremely difficult for me right now and I’m sure the economy is not the only thing to blame.

The city of Norfolk’s reckless disregard on whether the information published in the court dockets was false or not, even after having been formally corrected, through an identity theft police report that was filed almost a year prior, has incurred a great deal of damage on my professional reputation. This careless double occurrence of actual malice, carried out by the Norfolk Circuit Court system, has caused and is continuing to cause a great deal of financial and emotional hardship on my family and I.

I traveled back up to Norfolk on 12/28/2008 to ask the court clerk’s office to retract the false information. I was told by the Supervising Deputy that a clerical error was made when creating the dockets. I was assured that the dockets in the system would be corrected in a day and that an official letter would be sent to my home of address stating an apology. However, more than a day has passed and there is still no change to the dockets.

I want to know what my legal options are and how I can go about getting these records erased or retracted from the Google search engine.

j991

Keep calling and calling and calling. You need to force the issue to get them to change the docket information. Unfortunetly, that is the easy part of it. Whatever is on the internet is on the internet forever. You can try to explain the problem to future employers if you speak during an interview and let them know what has happened. If you are still having trouble, try going through a temp agency.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">