• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

aggrivated robbery at gunpoint at apratment complex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Twin2k5

What is the name of your state? Texas

Can I sue my apartment complex or my ordeal that involved being robbe at gunpoint in the parking lot and orderd to take him to my apt where he stripped me and my gf and then robbed us totally and threatened to kill us and come back to kill if others found out. he stated he lives in apt complex and our apt had security but at the time, no where in vicinity and in past he was sleeping on job.
he told me he walked past my area at a specific time but did not see anything. if he did then he would have seen the robber leaving my apt with all my belongings.

the security gurad told me this has happened before numerous times this month in day and night time.
the apt manager said there were no other reports at all and i am the first.
why would the security guard lie? or is it the apt management saying that to avoid liability in not posting this information to residents?
the police claim no others instances at all which coincide with apts, but again, why would the security guard lie, he has nothing to gain from that...

can i sue the apts for mental anguish and stress and the loss of $ and my things?

i live in harris county houston texas...need help asap

S

seniorjudge

Did the person(s) who owned the complex rob you at gunpoint?

Twin2k5

no it was an assailant who claimed he lived in the complex and i am stuck becuase iw ant other resident to know but the man said he'd return to kill me if word got out

S

seniorjudge

Twin2k5 said:
no it was an assailant who claimed he lived in the complex and i am stuck becuase iw ant other resident to know but the man said he'd return to kill me if word got out
Did you report this to the cops?

Why do you think the landlord is responsible?

...the apt manager said there were no other reports at all and i am the first....the police claim no others instances at all which coincide with apts...

Twin2k5

reply 2

i filed report and i think the apt management could have security in area instead of him sleeping or being elsewhere...
it could be more well lit
as it is dark and and not well lit

You Are Guilty

Twin2k5 said:
i filed report and i think the apt management could have security in area instead of him sleeping or being elsewhere... it could be more well lit as it is dark and and not well lit
That argument won't get you far. I'd start by following up with the local PD to see if they can confirm whether prior similar criminal acts have taken place on the premises and when (if?) they occurred.

Post back with your findings.

S

seniorjudge

You Are Guilty said:
That argument won't get you far. I'd start by following up with the local PD to see if they can confirm whether prior similar criminal acts have taken place on the premises and when (if?) they occurred.

Post back with your findings.
YAG, OP said:
"...the apt manager said there were no other reports at all and i am the first....the police claim no others instances at all which coincide with apts..."

You Are Guilty

And what does "coincide with apts" mean? If there were any similar crimes on any part of the landowner's property, you have your "foreseeability" argument all wrapped up in a bow :)

And I certainly wouldn't trust what some beat cop or desk sgt. tells me - at the minimum, I'd file a FOIL request with the department.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">