• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I elgible to file a lawsuit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ian_Y

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Back in January/February of this year, I got caught in an ordeal involving a missing 14 year old kid. While skateboarding at the skatepark, the father of this teenager comes around handing flyers out that flaunt "$5000 reward... for information leading to Trevor's recovery along with arrest, prosecution, and conviction of person(s) involved in his abduction and concealment".

I had seen the kid before, and told the father I would be on the lookout. I found the kid online on myspace.com and saw he was regularly logging in, so he wasn't being held captive. I called and notified the dad of this. He said he was aware and from then on we began conversing about the whereabouts of his son.

A couple weeks later, I spotted the kid skateboarding at a skatepark right by the police station. I anonymously informed the police that he was there, and he was taken into custody. I called the father, he said he would be in touch with me soon. The kid ended up getting away from the cops, but eventually was recovered.

Now, through this whole process, the father wanted to know where this kid was staying. This was part of the agreement. I knew who was keeping him, and helped him immensely in the case.

Last I remember, he had said he would send me a couple hundred dollars through paypal to "get me started". I never heard from again, and that was after several, SEVERAL phone calls.

For awhile now I have been trying to file suit. My aunt knows law practices (She is in judgment collections) and is helping me. We have been trying to deliver letters but the letters keep coming back. She is working on finding his current address at the moment, and we have been trying to send a written letter demanding the money within 30 days. She did some research on him and found out he filed bankruptcy a few years ago, but now has an insurance business, so he should have the money he owes me in his business.

She thinks I have a case, but I don't really know for sure or not. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

EDIT: I might get some moral fire for this, a lot of people have questioned whether it's right of me or not. To be honest, I think it is. I spent hours of my time with him on the phone after the kid was even recovered trying to help him figure out who it was that was keeping the boy at large. I was also threatened by the kid's brother that I would "see the floor" at a party if I tried to press charges. Funny. So I have a bad rep because apparently I was "snitching" on this kid who should not be on his own in the first place, and I never got what was promised.

Last edited:

Crispix

"$5000 reward... for information leading to Trevor's recovery along with arrest, prosecution, and conviction of person(s) involved in his abduction and concealment"
You'll have to wait a while for "arrest, prosecution, and conviction". Don't expect any money anytime soon.

cyjeff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Back in January/February of this year, I got caught in an ordeal involving a missing 14 year old kid. While skateboarding at the skatepark, the father of this teenager comes around handing flyers out that flaunt "$5000 reward... for information leading to Trevor's recovery along with arrest, prosecution, and conviction of person(s) involved in his abduction and concealment".
Wow, most dads don't skateboard.

I had seen the kid before, and told the father I would be on the lookout. I found the kid online on myspace.com and saw he was regularly logging in, so he wasn't being held captive. I called and notified the dad of this. He said he was aware and from then on we began conversing about the whereabouts of his son.

A couple weeks later, I spotted the kid skateboarding at a skatepark right by the police station. I anonymously informed the police that he was there, and he was taken into custody. I called the father, he said he would be in touch with me soon. The kid ended up getting away from the cops, but eventually was recovered.

Now, through this whole process, the father wanted to know where this kid was staying. This was part of the agreement. I knew who was keeping him, and helped him immensely in the case.

Last I remember, he had said he would send me a couple hundred dollars through paypal to "get me started". I never heard from again, and that was after several, SEVERAL phone calls.

For awhile now I have been trying to file suit. My aunt knows law practices (She is in judgment collections) and is helping me. We have been trying to deliver letters but the letters keep coming back. She is working on finding his current address at the moment, and we have been trying to send a written letter demanding the money within 30 days. She did some research on him and found out he filed bankruptcy a few years ago, but now has an insurance business, so he should have the money he owes me in his business.

She thinks I have a case, but I don't really know for sure or not. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

EDIT: I might get some moral fire for this, a lot of people have questioned whether it's right of me or not. To be honest, I think it is. I spent hours of my time with him on the phone after the kid was even recovered trying to help him figure out who it was that was keeping the boy at large. I was also threatened by the kid's brother that I would "see the floor" at a party if I tried to press charges. Funny. So I have a bad rep because apparently I was "snitching" on this kid who should not be on his own in the first place, and I never got what was promised.
Was the person that was holding the son prosecuted?

Ian_Y

I don't know if they were prosecuted or not because he hasn't answered my calls.

Haha, I meant that the dad came to the skatepark handing out flyers. I was skateboarding.

Dandy Don

You use the phrase "part of the agreement" in your posting but it's unsure what agreement you are talking about. All you have is a verbal agreement which isn't worth very much.

Your case might be helped if you had kept a copy of the flyer that offered the reward. Would you want to post an ad in the local newspaper asking anyone who has a copy of the flyer to send it to you?

Father should have kept his word if he was sincere and legitimate in making the $5,000 reward offer, but you shot yourself in the foot by making the mistake of reporting your information ANONYMOUSLY!!!???!!! Since your information was good you should have had no reason for not wanting to also mention your name and address to establish your official connection to claim the reward.

Ian_Y

Actually, I have a copy of the flyer. It's scanned on the computer also. I also have all the verizon records of when we spoke on the phone highlighted. And I think my name is on the police report. Not positive, though.

Ian_Y

You use the phrase "part of the agreement" in your posting but it's unsure what agreement you are talking about. All you have is a verbal agreement which isn't worth very much.

Your case might be helped if you had kept a copy of the flyer that offered the reward. Would you want to post an ad in the local newspaper asking anyone who has a copy of the flyer to send it to you?

Father should have kept his word if he was sincere and legitimate in making the $5,000 reward offer, but you shot yourself in the foot by making the mistake of reporting your information ANONYMOUSLY!!!???!!! Since your information was good you should have had no reason for not wanting to also mention your name and address to establish your official connection to claim the reward.
I did request to be anonymous however there are witnesses that I was the one who alerted the police to his presence. And I do indeed have a copy of the flyer and other various records.

Dandy Don

Don't waste your time trying to pursue this. He is going to defend himself by saying he was under stress at the time and was willing to do anything to find out information about his son. There is no law requiring anyone to fulfill a reward offer since it can be made at any time and withdrawn at any time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">