• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Animal possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tigerlily0412

I live in Maryland and I have both my dogs registered through the ACA. When I moved out of my mothers house, she held one of my dogs and would not let me take her. I have the registration proving she's mine, the police say I need to file through court (which i'm more than glad to do). However here is my issue/question.

I am the co owner of the dog, my ex husband is list as the owner, but I am still on her paperwork. There is a hold on the dog preventing anyone from registering her to a different name. He has already told me he can't take her and would rather I have her. When I take this to court will he need to be there? Will the judge see my paperwork and let me have my dog back? I've been in a battle with my mother about this for months and just recently she threatened to harm the dog if I try to take legal action. And I have talked to the humane society, they are checking in every week to make sure my dog is still alive and well.

I just need to know if the judge will allow me to have my dog back or if this is a losing battle.

Thank you in advanced.

Just Blue

I live in Maryland and I have both my dogs registered through the ACA. When I moved out of my mothers house, she held one of my dogs and would not let me take her. I have the registration proving she's mine, the police say I need to file through court (which i'm more than glad to do). However here is my issue/question.

I am the co owner of the dog, my ex husband is list as the owner, but I am still on her paperwork. There is a hold on the dog preventing anyone from registering her to a different name. He has already told me he can't take her and would rather I have her. When I take this to court will he need to be there? Will the judge see my paperwork and let me have my dog back? I've been in a battle with my mother about this for months and just recently she threatened to harm the dog if I try to take legal action. And I have talked to the humane society, they are checking in every week to make sure my dog is still alive and well.

I just need to know if the judge will allow me to have my dog back or if this is a losing battle.

Thank you in advanced.
What type of dog is this and why is your mother holding it?

....both my dogs registered through the ACA....I am the co owner of the dog, my ex husband is list as the owner, but I am still on her paperwork....When I take this to court will he need to be there? Will the judge see my paperwork and let me have my dog back?....I just need to know if the judge will allow me to have my dog back or if this is a losing battle.
I don't know what it means when you say "I am the co owner of the dog, my ex husband is list as the owner, but I am still on her paperwork". You will have to prove that you are the dog's rightful owner or you cannot sue for return of the dog. The fact that you say that you are a "co-owner" isn't likely enough. It's possible, depending on what this supposed paperwork says, that only your ex-husband can sue for return of the dog. I suppose you could get your ex-husband to sign over the paperwork so that you are listed unequivocally as the owner of the dog.

The judge will see your paperwork if you show it to him.

No idea if it is a losing battle or not. If you can prove that the dog is legally yours, then the judge should order it's return to you. Of course you are then faced with the possibility that your mother still won't let you take the dog, whereupon you would have to get a court to compel her to do so, blah blah blah. And of course if your mother comes to court and says that she has fed and housed the dog for X years and that you have lived elsewhere and only visited the dog Y times in X years, then despite the fact that pets are property and not children whose best interests are the goal, who knows how the judge would rule...

tigerlily0412

I don't know what it means when you say "I am the co owner of the dog, my ex husband is list as the owner, but I am still on her paperwork". You will have to prove that you are the dog's rightful owner or you cannot sue for return of the dog. The fact that you say that you are a "co-owner" isn't likely enough. It's possible, depending on what this supposed paperwork says, that only your ex-husband can sue for return of the dog. I suppose you could get your ex-husband to sign over the paperwork so that you are listed unequivocally as the owner of the dog.

The judge will see your paperwork if you show it to him.

No idea if it is a losing battle or not. If you can prove that the dog is legally yours, then the judge should order it's return to you. Of course you are then faced with the possibility that your mother still won't let you take the dog, whereupon you would have to get a court to compel her to do so, blah blah blah. And of course if your mother comes to court and says that she has fed and housed the dog for X years and that you have lived elsewhere and only visited the dog Y times in X years, then despite the fact that pets are property and not children whose best interests are the goal, who knows how the judge would rule...

When we registered the dog, both our names are on there. My name is clearly stated on the registration as an owner of the dog. His name is just first. However, I can get him to get a letter notarized stating that he is allowing me to get possession of the dog. We can't get her transferred because we put a hold on her registration and to do that they needed both owners to sign it (he and I). If I take this to court (which I am), the point is for the judge to order her to return the dog to me.

xylene

Soooooo, you had your mom hiding your ex-husband's valuable registered dog from him, and now it is gone sideways. :rolleyes:

LdiJ

When we registered the dog, both our names are on there. My name is clearly stated on the registration as an owner of the dog. His name is just first. However, I can get him to get a letter notarized stating that he is allowing me to get possession of the dog. We can't get her transferred because we put a hold on her registration and to do that they needed both owners to sign it (he and I). If I take this to court (which I am), the point is for the judge to order her to return the dog to me.
Then you are co-owners of the dog. It does not matter if his name is first.

tigerlily0412

Soooooo, you had your mom hiding your ex-husband's valuable registered dog from him, and now it is gone sideways. :rolleyes:
Actually, no. My ex husband and I are on good terms. He moved into an apartment where he couldn't have dogs so he asked me to keep her with me (I was staying with my mom when my father got sick and passed away). My mom just chose to not let me have one of the dogs because she wanted one (her black lab passed away about a year after my father).

You shouldn't just assume you know details when you don't.

tigerlily0412

Perhaps
I am wrong...But didn't FA have a "tigerlily" that was a troll?:confused:

Not a troll, first time on any free advice forums, just looking for any suggestions from anyone who might have some knowledge to share. I never use my real name on forums (even ones I am on daily) for the protection of myself and my family which I'm sure everyone can fully understand. Tiger lilies are my favorite flower which is why I choose the name. Sorry if the name confused me with someone else. I can delete the account if it is an issue.

LdiJ

Not a troll, first time on any free advice forums, just looking for any suggestions from anyone who might have some knowledge to share. I never use my real name on forums (even ones I am on daily) for the protection of myself and my family which I'm sure everyone can fully understand. Tiger lilies are my favorite flower which is why I choose the name. Sorry if the name confused me with someone else. I can delete the account if it is an issue.
Its not an issue. Do not worry about it.

Just Blue

No...Sometimes people use names that are alike . Sorry for the mixup I made. :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">