• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any legal recourse to get money back from parents?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whiteboardmarke

My bank closed my personal account and I had a need to transfer a large sum of money overseas. My bank could not do overseas transfers, but my parent's bank could. I sent an email to my parents asking them if I could send money to them and if they could then transfer the money to my overseas account via their bank. They agreed and we sent several emails back and forth discussing the procedure, account numbers, amounts, etc.

My question is, if my parents decided they wanted to keep my money after they received it in their account, refused to send it to my overseas account, would I have any legal recourse to get it back? Do I still have a legal right to the money or is it considered theirs at that point?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Why are you trying to transfer it overseas? From where is the money coming? Those are important questions that need answering.

Why are you trying to transfer it overseas? From where is the money coming? Those are important questions that need answering.
Those are the important questions that need answering? :) I can think of several others. :) But I think the bottom line is that there must be other ways to send money to one's own overseas account that don't involve first giving the money to someone that you don't trust 100%. There must be another way to send the money that would be better than giving a "large sum of money" to someone else if there is even a 1% chance that you would have to sue them to try and get it back. Possession is 9/10th of the law, and even more of a pain in the ass to deal with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">