• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appealing and Probation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I was found guilty of a county code violation and given a hefty fine. Since I could not afford to pay it, the county put me on probation. I plan to appeal and was wondering if I am still required to make payments on the fine and go to probation while I am awaiting the appeal process ?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I was found guilty of a county code violation and given a hefty fine. Since I could not afford to pay it, the county put me on probation. I plan to appeal and was wondering if I am still required to make payments on the fine and go to probation while I am awaiting the appeal process ?
For what reason are you appealing? Lack of money? Did you have an attorney during your trial?:confused:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, unless ordered otherwise, you must follow the terms of your probation and payment schedules.

Just Blue

I am appealing because I did not violate any terms of the code. I did not have an attorney.
You were found guilty. You cannot appeal just because you don't "agree" with the verdict. Was there a mistake in law? Why didn't you have an attorney?

You were found guilty. You cannot appeal just because you don't "agree" with the verdict. Was there a mistake in law? Why didn't you have an attorney?
The code is very specific. It states I did A, B, C or D. I did none of those things. The judge found me guilty of this particular code because she could not find me guilty of the original charge. The original charge was specific as well which I did not violate. I stated that to the judge. The officer who testified stated the facts as I did but they did not apply to the original charge nor what I was found guilty of. The judge seemed upset and wanted to find me guilty of something. If I had read the code that I was found guilty of before the trial, I would have argued that it did not apply as well but I did not know the details of that code.

Just Blue

The code is very specific. It states I did A, B, C or D. I did none of those things. The judge found me guilty of this particular code because she could not find me guilty of the original charge. The original charge was specific as well which I did not violate. I stated that to the judge. The officer who testified stated the facts as I did but they did not apply to the original charge nor what I was found guilty of. The judge seemed upset and wanted to find me guilty of something. If I had read the code that I was found guilty of before the trial, I would have argued that it did not apply as well but I did not know the details of that code.
If you were uneducated in law you should not have gone pro se.

Ask an attorney in your area to review your case...

Good Luck to you Stinastina

Blue

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">