• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appeals Court HELP!!!!! PLEASE

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dianealmond

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

As pro se (my monies ALL eshausted), in a 3 day strenuous JURY trial, armed only with truth & prayer, up against a vile lifelong swindler/landlord with his well-known top attorney, miraculously I held up and did an excellent job especially considering being a layman of exposing his intentional acts of swindling, thieving and ruthlessly ruining my business. Overwhelming evidence, testimonies.
The Jury's verdict was HIS breach of contract and also awarded me $25,000 in damages (my losses were $75K leaving me penniless).
UTTER RELIEF felt FINALLY finding a measure of justice and GREAT GRATITUDE to my peers/jury
DISASTER HIT when The Judge retired the Jury and shockingly,quickly I heard him override the Jury's decision bringing down $25000.00 to but $3000.

With great sacrifice, I sold off some things dear paid for transcript and FILED AN APPEAL with NC appeals court - NOW I have a WEEK to do the BRIEF.

The Judgement that came down by the Judge - in so many words: insufficient evidence for damages.
My former divorce attorney told me that I made a costly error by summing up my damages in dollar amounts in my FINAL SUMMATION...rather than prior.
But But,...I said..my whole case told of employees, advertising, utilities, landlord turning off lights, lease etc etc. My lawyer said BUT the totalling DOLLAR AMOUNTS was not addressed until your Final summation. DISASTER

Am not asking for someone to help me write a brief, etc etc.
I NEED SO DESPERATELY thoughts, ideas of how I can argue - the framework based on...
Am aware that a pro se is held to same as an attorney..however in that allowing of a pro se to represent themselves it would be impossible for the self-represented to have the in depth knowledge of Court rules,statutes,etc...and what I am trying to say here is that I hoped someone could help me...find that latitude in case law or whereever whatever would be crucial here...JUSTICE should prevail - and not be distinquished on a technical oversight. SO MUCH IS ON THE LINE for me..and time is nearing. Frantically google searching but I am BLANK.

BTW: This Judge, in this small rural good ole boy town, who sat on thsi Jury Trial ALSO was the Judge on my divorce case recently where I had theh attny I spoke of and was asked to recuse but refused. In one yr of a so called marriage, my life was destroyed by an unknown to me career criminal ASSOCIATED with this Landlord/swindler and where this Judge ignored my so called husband's 16 pg repeat felon record, my cries of fraud and my PROOF of bigamy - handing in interim relief my separate,sole property of great value to this criminal which was immediately PAWNED and a truck in my sole name bought with my separate funds devalued...immediately had me shackled in court based on the lies of a career criminal...in one hearing... LATER and most recently...thru great strife this bigamous marriage was made VOID.annulled by the Court. of course way tooo late for recovering property in the tens of thousands.. The Judge was clearly after my blood..and IMHO aided and abetted a criminal to further victimize me..however I REALIZE attacking this Judge in this appeal could only work against me..badly. Please do not misunderstand, I am NOT against evetry lawyer and Judge...infact have never walked into a courtroom until becoming a victim of crime...and realizing most objectively the POWERS of CONNECTIONS in small rural towns. it was said...to me...that This Judge should never have sat on the bench in the Jury Trial having been asked to recuse in my divorce case not too long ago. But it still stands that I ERRORED unknowingly

Diane

You haven't really given any details that anyone could even begin to help with - what would you have us tell you with what you've provided? That the world is cruel and unfair?

Also, "erroring unknowingly" is called "making a mistake", and this provides little-to-no legal footing. Sorry.

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

As pro se (my monies ALL eshausted), in a 3 day strenuous JURY trial, armed only with truth & prayer, up against a vile lifelong swindler/landlord with his well-known top attorney, miraculously I held up and did an excellent job especially considering being a layman of exposing his intentional acts of swindling, thieving and ruthlessly ruining my business. Overwhelming evidence, testimonies.
The Jury's verdict was HIS breach of contract and also awarded me $25,000 in damages (my losses were $75K leaving me penniless).
UTTER RELIEF felt FINALLY finding a measure of justice and GREAT GRATITUDE to my peers/jury
DISASTER HIT when The Judge retired the Jury and shockingly,quickly I heard him override the Jury's decision bringing down $25000.00 to but $3000.

With great sacrifice, I sold off some things dear paid for transcript and FILED AN APPEAL with NC appeals court - NOW I have a WEEK to do the BRIEF.

The Judgement that came down by the Judge - in so many words: insufficient evidence for damages.
My former divorce attorney told me that I made a costly error by summing up my damages in dollar amounts in my FINAL SUMMATION...rather than prior.
But But,...I said..my whole case told of employees, advertising, utilities, landlord turning off lights, lease etc etc. My lawyer said BUT the totalling DOLLAR AMOUNTS was not addressed until your Final summation. DISASTER

Am not asking for someone to help me write a brief, etc etc.
I NEED SO DESPERATELY thoughts, ideas of how I can argue - the framework based on...
Am aware that a pro se is held to same as an attorney..however in that allowing of a pro se to represent themselves it would be impossible for the self-represented to have the in depth knowledge of Court rules,statutes,etc...and what I am trying to say here is that I hoped someone could help me...find that latitude in case law or whereever whatever would be crucial here...JUSTICE should prevail - and not be distinquished on a technical oversight. SO MUCH IS ON THE LINE for me..and time is nearing. Frantically google searching but I am BLANK.

BTW: This Judge, in this small rural good ole boy town, who sat on thsi Jury Trial ALSO was the Judge on my divorce case recently where I had theh attny I spoke of and was asked to recuse but refused. In one yr of a so called marriage, my life was destroyed by an unknown to me career criminal ASSOCIATED with this Landlord/swindler and where this Judge ignored my so called husband's 16 pg repeat felon record, my cries of fraud and my PROOF of bigamy - handing in interim relief my separate,sole property of great value to this criminal which was immediately PAWNED and a truck in my sole name bought with my separate funds devalued...immediately had me shackled in court based on the lies of a career criminal...in one hearing... LATER and most recently...thru great strife this bigamous marriage was made VOID.annulled by the Court. of course way tooo late for recovering property in the tens of thousands.. The Judge was clearly after my blood..and IMHO aided and abetted a criminal to further victimize me..however I REALIZE attacking this Judge in this appeal could only work against me..badly. Please do not misunderstand, I am NOT against evetry lawyer and Judge...infact have never walked into a courtroom until becoming a victim of crime...and realizing most objectively the POWERS of CONNECTIONS in small rural towns. it was said...to me...that This Judge should never have sat on the bench in the Jury Trial having been asked to recuse in my divorce case not too long ago. But it still stands that I ERRORED unknowingly

Diane
Is there a question in there somewhere?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">