• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney Won't Release My Check!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

naesatt

I just got a bill today (after calling & pestering for it again) and it just shows the same stuff I got before...shouldn't my bill show my retainer fee as the first entry on the account??? When I get a doctor bill it at least shows the last payment they received!! They subtract what charges were incurred & then show the pending balance due!! Is that not what I should expect to see??? Also he said he could only find where I gave $1,500.00 in retainer fees, but I sent him a copy of my receipt showing where I had paid $1,650.00.

A Little More Background:cool::
This attorney, which by the way was not the attorney I hired but was partner with the firm I decided to go with, parted company with the firm I used due to a whole lot of negative legal attention he was receiving, like a messy divorce, a bk, & a protective order from stalking a former divorce client/ex-girlfriend of his all in a row......the attorney I hired left the firm with the same partner/attorney with all the neg. attention......I am guessing this guy held my account as one of his when he parted company with said firm**************whew************** BTW..the attorney I hired has been paid in full for services rendered since he left the firm.

:confused:Question:
I guess my question is shouldn't my retainer fee be the first entry on my bill? or at lest be on my bill?

This guy said I incurred charges before I paid my retainer fee (WHAT!!!???) I interviewed the attorney I decided to hire about a month before I retained him, but this firm/partner guy is saying my attorney prepared things for the court before I retained my attorney ( i say again, WHAT!!!???)

:confused:Question:
Does any of this sound right to anyone out there???

This guy is holding my check for $3,000.00 and so much time has passed already**************.

Last edited:

Your retainer should show up as a payment. Sounds like you see $1,500 of it, but not the full $1,650, so you are due a credit of $150.00.

The $1,000 paid towards fees should show up as a payment.

The $3,000 recovered in settlement should show up as a payment.

Then, all time spent by the attorney should show up as a charge.

If there is any money left, you should get paid.

naesatt

Your retainer should show up as a payment. Sounds like you see $1,500 of it, but not the full $1,650, so you are due a credit of $150.00.

The $1,000 paid towards fees should show up as a payment.

The $3,000 recovered in settlement should show up as a payment.

Then, all time spent by the attorney should show up as a charge.

If there is any money left, you should get paid.

There is nothing on the bill showing my retainer fee..any of it..applied or not applied..should I contact the firm that he parted company with to see if they can give me a statement from the time I hired my attorney until the time he parted company...I just don't want to pay more that I should ( of course) and to the wrong party..thanks:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">