• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

baby monitor intrecepted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sweetsmokeolena

monitor intercepted

What is the name of your state? Illinois

we are able to pick up our evil neighbors baby monitor on our scanner.Is itagainst the law to tape this ?

Last edited:

BB, this is an interesting take that you make on this one. Being that it is an FM signal, it is not illegal to intecept it, but you can get into significant trouble if the recorded version gets made known.

One of the latest stories, even from Chicago if I remember correctly, was a radio station broadcasting such an illegally obtained recording. {Labor union officials or something like that}. The radio station was not in trouble for broadcasting the recording, but the person making the recording was.

BelizeBreeze

Communication Act of 1934

“Except as authorized by chapter 119, title 18, no person receiving, assisting in receiving, transmitting,or assisting in transmitting, any interstate or foreign communication by wire or radio shall divulge orpublish the existence, contents, substance, purport, effect, or meaning thereof, except through authorized channels of transmission or reception [...]”

Transmitters intercepted by the poster belong to a group of devices knownas “Part 15 devices.”

Part 15 devices consist of two general classes: “IncidentalRadiators” and “Intentional Radiators.” Incidental radiators include a vast number ofhousehold electronic devices such as computers, radio and television receivers,videotape recorders, telephone answering machines, light dimmers, and high-efficiency fluorescent light bulbs, etc. Intentional radiators in the home includecordless telephone handsets and base units, garage door opener controllers,wireless security system components, radio-frequency remote controls for homeentertainment equipment, and baby monitoring systems.

As for receiving the signal, the act is very straightforward:

§ 605. Unauthorized publication or use of communications

(a) Practices prohibitedExcept as authorized by chapter 119, title 18, no person receiving, assisting in receiving, transmitting, or assisting in transmitting, any interstate or foreign communication by wire or radio shall divulge or publish the existence, contents, substance, purport, effect, or meaning thereof, except through authorized channels of transmission or reception,

(1) to any person other than the addressee, his agent, or attorney,
(2) to a person employed or authorized to forward such communication to its destination,
(3) to proper accounting or distributing officers of the various communicating centers over which the communication may be passed,
(4) to the master of a ship under whom he is serving,
(5) in response to a subpena issued by a court of competent jurisdiction, or
(6) on demand of other lawful authority.

No person not being authorized by the sender shall intercept any radio communication and divulge or publish the existence, contents, substance, purport, effect, or meaning of such intercepted communication to any person.

No person not being entitled thereto shall receive or assist in receiving any interstate or foreign communication by radio and use such communication (or any information therein contained) for his ownbenefit or for the benefit of another not entitled thereto.

No person having received any intercepted radio communication or having become acquainted with the contents, substance, purport, effect, or meaning of such communication (or any part thereof) knowing that such communication was intercepted, shall divulge or publish the existence, contents, substance, purport, effect, or meaning of such communication (or any part thereof) or use such communication (or any information therein contained) for his own benefit or for the benefit of another not entitled thereto. [… ] --

Sec. 2511. Interception and disclosure of wire, oral, or
electronic communications prohibited

2a[ii] (d) It shall not be unlawful under this chapter for a person
not acting under color of law to intercept a wire, oral, or
electronic communication where such person is a party to the
communication or where one of the parties to the communication
has given prior consent to such interception unless such
communication is intercepted for the purpose of committing any
criminal or tortious act in violation of the Constitution or laws
of the United States or of any State.

And while you may feel that this section of the Act precludes civil and criminal penalty, your task is then to explain how prior consent can be given without knowledge of the interception? Not to mention the right and expectation of privacy.

carofl93

sweetsmokeolena said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

we are able to pick up our evil neighbors baby monitor on our scanner.Is itagainst the law to tape this ?
Note to self...buy baby monitor to gain revenge on neighbors with barking doggie LOL.

Carol

sweetsmokeolena

This person was making threats the do harm to government officals(police,judges,IRS agents and FBI. He made threats because he didn't like it that the IRS is asking him why he hasn't filed taxes in over 5 years and they asked for assets,so this guy went bulistic and started saying if they try to take my house I'll kill em, bullets will be flying in the other direction and they will not take him alive.I turned the info over to the States Attorney office.They didn't say anything about it being unlawful.We have not made anything public other than that.(well I might have told a few friends)

Last edited:
carofl93 said:
Note to self...buy baby monitor to gain revenge on neighbors with barking doggie LOL.

Carol
Question carolfl93. Can a yellow-eyed, stub-tailed, Weimeriener owner sustain a neighbor barking dog complaint? - LOL :D

carofl93

Florid-aise said:
Question carolfl93. Can a yellow-eyed, stub-tailed, Weimeriener owner sustain a neighbor barking dog complaint? - LOL :D
LOL Our weimie is a good old man. He only barks when someone is in the yard who doesn't belong, or when he's mooching for a treat...usually when we're having steak for dinner :p. Doesn't happen often, but he knows exactly how to get himself a bite. The new neighbors' dogs on the other hand bark at anything that moves...not so good in squirrel country LOL.

Carol

BelizeBreeze

Florid-aise said:
Belize, clarification here. Interstate v. intrastate interception?

Right to privacy being excepted in this instance.
The act as amended in 1986, makes no reference distinction between the two.

BelizeBreeze said:
The act as amended in 1986, makes no reference distinction between the two.
Belize, this has gotta hurt. We agree. :)

Florida, a two party consent state, had a case. 17 year-old honor student, tape records her teacher's class. Teacher files complaint. Student gets arrested. The court dismissed her charge because the teacher had no expectation of privacy in the classroom, even in a two party consent state.

Sheriff's deputy, outside a residence, picks-up communiction from cordless phone, obtains warrant based on knowledge derived from intercept. Thrown out in court because of expectation of privacy.

Go figure.

I have yet another question. How can OP "CYA" in this instance?
And the related question, how can the SA attorney get the tape admitted?

BelizeBreeze

Both cases I agree with the outcome. In the second, the warrant was derived from communications intended to be private where an expectation of privacy existed. Therefore, the warrant itself is tainted.

In the posted scenario the Act makes allowances for such 'accidental' reception. So, in my opinion, the best way for poster to CYOA, is to immediately cease reception of the signal when recognized and inform the sender that such is occurring, giving the sender the opportunity to correct the circumstance and to put them on notice should reception again occur.

In any instance, ANY use of the reception other than accidental reception falls under the 'expectation of privacy' rule of the Act.

Two competing interests now exist then, don't they? The OP -MUST- inform the neighbor in order to CTOA; while the SA -NEEDS- to obtain their own admissable information somehow.

If the OP does so - it may result in crippling the SA from gathering their evidence.

Can we see a Patriot Act issue soon to be forthcoming here?

BelizeBreeze

Florid-aise said:
Two competing interests now exist then, don't they? The OP -MUST- inform the neighbor in order to CTOA; while the SA -NEEDS- to obtain their own admissable information somehow.

If the OP does so - it may result in crippling the SA from gathering their evidence.

Can we see a Patriot Act issue soon to be forthcoming here?
Not at all. I see no competing issue here. Accidental reception does not REQUIRE notice. But prudence suggest that it be given.

Also, recording such transmission IS against the law based on the expectation of privacy. Although the poster is not a member of law enforcement and therefore, the requirements are lessened, they are not absolved of the requirement to cease the reception, even if accidental.

In the case you cited, the police officer had no probable cause to obtain the warrant save the accidental reception where an expectation of privacy existed.

I found the laws on this topic years ago, confusing. Not much has changed since then.

I personally had a youthful experience where a scanner had picked-up conversations. The experience was "jaw-dropping" and incredibly frightning.

The content of the experience was so sensative then that I am to this day still reticent to recall it. The info is safe with me, but boy if were ever to made public from some other source, WOW!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">