• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Banned from a club

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdawg83

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

I am a stand up comedian who has worked multiple clubs in multiple states in the 7 years that I have been doing stand up comedy. Being a stand up comedian, I am an independent contractor. As an Independent Contractor I have the right to work for whomever I want whenever I want. I did a show In Phoenix, AZ this past Saturday, then on my way to another city a comedian called me because she had a fall out and wanted me to feature for her, so I stopped and did another gig in Oro Valley, AZ. Tonight I arrived at another club and was banned from the club, not because of anything I did to the club or anything detrimental to the club, but because the comedian that called me to do the show in Oro Valley was banned from that club, and because I "worked" for her I am no longer allowed to work there.

My question is doesn't that infringe on my freedom of association and furthermore my right as an independent contractor to work for whom ever I want to. My opinion is that if they don't have the right to dictate who I work for as long as I do nothing to infringe on them. Furthermore I did not advertise in media or in their club that I was doing that show, they just banned me from being able to work there because I worked for another banned comedian.

enjay

You don't think that a company has a right to hire whomever they want? They could have "banned" you from the club because they didn't like your shoes if that's what they wanted to do. Your status as an independent contractor doesn't mean that you get to work wherever you want no matter what. Sheesh.

As an Independent Contractor I have the right to work for whomever I want whenever I want.
No, you don't. I can't declare myself an Independent Contractor and show up at the White House tomorrow and demand to be president for the day.

You have the right of at-will employment, and nothing more - and in this case, employment was not offered to you.

If your comedy is anything like your logical thought process, you must literally fill tens of seats in an auditorium.

jdawg83

to correct you both this isn't about protesting about a club not booking me, that is well within their rights as a private business. As well, I posted this posting in Entertainment law so I wont be responding to this. As far as your associating my logic with my comedy if you want to judge feel free to visit my myspace comedy page at myspace.com/jamarlinfowler. As I stated in my OP, the club has absolutely no problem with me as a person or a comic, its about me associating with someone they don't like. I think its absurd but you have the right to your opinion. Thank you for your replies however.

LeeHarveyBlotto

to correct you both this isn't about protesting about a club not booking me, that is well within their rights as a private business. As well, I posted this posting in Entertainment law so I wont be responding to this. As far as your associating my logic with my comedy if you want to judge feel free to visit my myspace comedy page at myspace.com/jamarlinfowler. As I stated in my OP, the club has absolutely no problem with me as a person or a comic, its about me associating with someone they don't like. I think its absurd but you have the right to your opinion. Thank you for your replies however.
They have every right to choose not to do business with anyone for nearly any reason they see fit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">